whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

Quote:
I'm sorry - I just have to laugh! I had no idea you were a teenager! You sound very mature in your posts! : )

I'm just afraid that if you email them they will possibly ignore it. Maybe just start by making some calls to first find out "WHO is the NC state poultry veterinarian, and how can I you reach him". I would start with Dr. David Marshall, DVM, State Veterinarian, (919) 733-7601. Tell him your hen has what you think might be a neurological problem and ask if you can email him a link to take a look. If your dad is willing to make some calls, maybe that would be best, If he can't, perhaps you can send emails out - copy everyone at the same time so they all know, and include a link and a GOOD description of what has been going on. Include age, feed, situation - just like you would here.

Does that help?

Anybody else have any ideas for chickenlvr97

Thanks. I will see if my dad will call. If not, I will send out the emails.

I try not to mention my age in any of my posts because I have had chickens for a while now and when most people think of teenagers, you think of immature kids who have no idea what their talking about most of the time. (I'm not saying all people think that, but most would). Sorry if you were thinking I was an adult throughout this whole topic....I hope nobody thinks of me as "one of those teenagers" now. LOL

Quote:
My first batch of chicks hatched in April and I had my first egg in August. You said she just became a hen...how old is she?

My first hen died of LL in 2008 - so she must have been 2 years old. The others were about 4-5.

I don't really understand the DNA link - I guess it's a retro virus. This explains it a little:
Retroviruses are viruses that incorporate their genetic code (RNA) into host cells through means of enzymes called reverse transcriptase, which creates DNA from RNA (as opposed to the normal flow, RNA from DNA), and integrase, which makes the virus part of the cell's own genetic information. Retroviruses can be difficult to detect and are the root cause of AIDS (which is caused by the human immunodeficiency virus) and other conditions.

Retrovirus Definition | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5084996_retrovirus-definition.html#ixzz11RNCAk00

It's a mystery to me. We may or may not all deal with it at some point. I'm guessing it goes undetected very often. A bird dies. It's buried. No necropsy is done, so you never know. I'm an information junkie so I get the necropsies done...I just want the reasons and the answers. but you can't worry about it or dwell on it - there's nor prevention really.

Here's some other great information that includes the age of onset:
http://www.worldpoultry.net/diseases/lymphoid-leukosis-d102.html
and
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/202/lymphoid-leukosis

Quote:
No - I don't think anyone will think that. You're doing great! Like I said, your posts have been mature and logical.

Are you keeping up with B vitamins? What else? Yogurt? Turmeric? Is she still eating, drinking and pooping fine?

Are you anywhere near Hayesville?

Let us know how it goes with the calls.

I will certainly let you all know how the calls go.
The first month or so I gave her yogurt every night with wheat germ and vitamin B. I also gave her polyViSol vitamins.

Next I tried Wazine and electrolytes. After those treatments I went to antibiotic. Now I'm giving her the tumeric and asprin.

Quote:
You might want to give yogurt for a couple of days since antibiotics mess up the system. Not that it will fix the big problem.

What about her appetite and her poop?

Well I gave her antibiotic about a month after I stopped giving her yogurt so I think it was spread out enough. I also keep oyster shell mixed in with her feed at all times. Should I still try the yogurt again?

Her poop looks normal. She eats and drinks great. She is getting VERY thin though. I *think* it is because when she was in the big area outside, she could never get to her food or water. Now since she's in the smaller rabbit hutch, she will hopefully gain a little weight since her food will be closer to her.

You want to get probiotics (yogurt) into her after you give antibiotics. A few days of it now certainly won't hurt.

Her weight loss would concern me. Can you feel her keel bone? Is it prominent? Does her abdomen seem large? Maybe you can give her a little extra something to fatten her up a bit...? Not sure. If she's eating well, but still losing weight, that's not a good sign. She's not absorbing the nutrients...which indicates to me, disease. Again - I am no expert.

I assume she is not laying anymore, correct?

I am not suggesting that she will pass away, but if you contact the vet, you may as well ask them where you could send her for a necropsy if you needed to, while you had them on the phone. If she doesn't make it, this is probably the only thing that will give you answers.

I'm anxious to hear what you find out.

97, I want to say you have handled this situation with your hen alot better than I probably would. You are doing great and I hope you'll be able to find some answers out very soon. I would have been alot better off at age 13 if I'd had chickens. I'll be thinking of you.

Back
Top Bottom