whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

No longer suffering. That is the good part. Thank you for being strong, from this chicken lover, plus everyone else, I'm sure. It is so hard to watch them suffer.

Quote:
Yes she is! And she's pleased as punch that she can strut her stuff once again!

I'm sure she's grateful to you for all you did for her.

Sorry for your loss, chickenlvr.

Keep us posted.

Chickenlvr, would you do me a favor? I made a mistake 35 years ago - don't you make the same one. Become a veterinarian!! I grew up on a small farm and adored my cow, horse, the pigs, and the chickens. I even took a class in 4-H taught by a veterinarian. My response? Cool - just like yours in watching the necropsy. Becoming a veterinarian is a noble profession and getting into vet school is more competitive than medical school. You are obviously a very mature and responsible - not to mention compassionate - human being. Those are the perfect traits for a vet. And if I weren't 3000 miles away, I'd take my animals to see you!

You have handled this whole situation with such maturity. You have my condolences in losing a valued member of your family whom you fought so hard to save. Please let us know the final outcome.

And to the point of this thread, it appears I have another chicken with the symptoms of a vitamin B deficiency.
he.gif
I had been giving them Rooster Booster in their water until 2 weeks ago - they are about 13 weeks now. The original chicken completely recovered from his vitamin B deficiency very quickly when he was about a month old so I'm hoping McGee does as well. The original chicken (no male name yet - was supposed to be a hen) is a monster EE who loves nothing more than perching on me but gads it hurts when those long talons claw into my head as he tries to perch on me! Why can't he settle for perching on my shoulder like the others? He shows no signs of haunch sitting days of his youth!

Ok guys...I got another update from Dr. Robbins. He said he saw nothing at all wrong with her brain. The spinal cord is still decalcifying but he said he should get results and will email me back at the end of next week.
However, he did say she had a loss of purkinje cells. He said its possible she has a condition called "cerebellar abiotrophy". If you click on the link below, it says some info. about this condition. It seems to be common in horses but not so much in chickens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellar_abiotrophy

Hi chickenlvr,

So sorry for your loss. I have been following this thread for a long time but have not posted since I had no helpful information to share. I was just wondering, did Dr. Robbins say that he has actually seen this condition before in chickens? I am in NC as well, (Orange County) and would love Dr. Robbins contact information if you can share it. Do keep us updated on anything else you hear. You were so good to be so dedicated to your hen, I do believe they know it when we love them.
hugs.gif
Andrea

Hi from Thailand, I know this is an old thread, but hopefully someone is still keeping an eye on it for any new posts. I've been having trouble with my LF brahma rooster for the last 5-6 weeks. I was so pleased to discover this thread, as the vitamin B deficiency seems to fit his symptoms pretty well. He is still very alert, eating and drinking pretty good, and interested in everything going on around him.

I've just started the intensive vitamin B therapy today.

I'd love to find out if there's been any further solutions discovered since the last post.

Thanks so much to everyone for sharing their experiences so that others may benefit. It's been a great help so far!!

~ Angela

HI Angela, Im so glad vit b treatment is working. Ive had mixed success. It vitamin d deficiency is indeed the issue, it should continue to help.
Good luck and keep us posted on any changes.

Thanks Robin,

I have heard that giving raw liver can help too. Here in Thailand we mostly have access to pork liver. Will this work just as well, and is it indeed ok to feed RAW PORK liver to chickens?

I've noticed that when he was able to walk that he would constantly goose-step. Is this related to a B vitamin deficiency or is this something else going on? And - should I also give him a vitamin E supplement? Lastly (sorry for all the questions) I know vitamin B is water-soluble but how will I know if I'm giving him too much and it's just pouring out the other end? I've noticed that since giving him the vitamin B tablets (Blackmores Executive B complex, and feeding him 3 x per day over the last 2 days) that his poop has turned a dark brown color. Does this suggest I can decrease the dosage some?

Again, thanks Robin. Any help you can give me is GREATLY appreciated!!

Blessings :)

Edited to add some more info. and questions

Last edited:
Thanks Robin,

I have heard that giving raw liver can help too. Here in Thailand we mostly have access to pork liver. Will this work just as well, and is it indeed ok to feed RAW PORK liver to chickens?

I've noticed that when he was able to walk that he would constantly goose-step. Is this related to a B vitamin deficiency or is this something else going on? And - should I also give him a vitamin E supplement? Lastly (sorry for all the questions) I know vitamin B is water-soluble but how will I know if I'm giving him too much and it's just pouring out the other end? I've noticed that since giving him the vitamin B tablets (Blackmores Executive B complex, and feeding him 3 x per day over the last 2 days) that his poop has turned a dark brown color. Does this suggest I can decrease the dosage some?

Again, thanks Robin. Any help you can give me is GREATLY appreciated!!

Blessings :)

Edited to add some more info. and questions

I would be a little worried about giving raw pork liver to my birds. since you have acsess to internet how hard is it to order into the country because there are products made for fowl that are really good and I would recommend you get him Poultry Nutri Drench it can be given straight into the mouth and will really bring him around if it's a vitamin deff. look it up online to read about it. and the dark poop is probably the vits. they will do this to humans also, may want to cut back some.

Back
Top Bottom