whats wrong with my hen? *video* unbalanced...NEW VIDEO~post#385

Well, we went to the avian vet and he thinks it is a severe calcium deficiency. He did a good exam and he couldn't feel anything wrong with a joint or any kind of break or injury. He did some neurological tests on her feet and legs and said she is having a lack of muscle contractions to move the limbs. He said in high producing birds, this is almost always a calcium deficiency. Calcium controls the contraction of muscle fibers. I did ask him about B Vitamin deficiency and he said no - extremely rare in birds, you almost never see it. I asked if he could give her a B Vitamin injection just in case, and he said it would be a waste of money and time. He is SURE that when this happens to birds, it is never a B Vitamin problem. Hmmmm. He did pull blood to test her calcium level and he will call me today. That will help us to know how much to be supplementing her with.

So, he put her on Osteo-Form calcim/phosphorous supplement, and Baytril suspension, just in case.

The GREAT news is that she stood up completely straight on her own several times last night - legs all the way up - and she even walked 7 steps once I got her home! Yes she looks like an old granny pushing a walker - but they are completely steps. That is the first she's moved in 8 days.

He said another distant possibility - hens that lay huge eggs can get pinched nerves as the large egg travels down the (??? can't remember the terminology he used). The tract, whatever it's called. And when that happens, it takes times for the swelling around the nerve sheath to reduce and restore movement to the bird's legs. He thought this was fairly unlikely for her because she lays these big eggs all the time and she never had a problem before. It's most likely when you have a hen who suddenly produces one really huge egg out of the blue. But - it is something we will consider if the calcium blood level comes back well within the normal range.

She is also getting a general vitamin/mineral powder in her drinking water and all the varied foods I can feed her. We stopped at Wendy's on the way home and she got a chicken salad.....she enjoyed the lettuce and shredded chicken.
wee.gif

As of this morning, her color has returned to her face. She was really pale and bleached out at the vet's office because she was so stressed from the car ride and blood draw.

She was really going after the oyster shell last night when we got home. So maybe she is really craving calcium?

Anyway, I'll keep updating in case anyone digs this thread up in the future and has a similar problem. Maybe Birta's experience can help someone, along with the other great posts that have been on this thread.

Great news that it is treatable. Keep us updated on how she is doing.

Update on my hen Birta....This morning for the first time I let her out of her dog kennel to walk around the hen house floor. She walked all over the place, scratched, ate in the various treat bowls, and then flew up into a nest to lay an egg!! She's still wobbly but she is getting stronger and improving significantly every day. She's getting the 0.4 ml of Baytril suspension a.m. and p.m. and I am coating all her food in the calcium powder. Her water has the general vitamin/mineral powder in it according to the directions on the bottle.

I can't say how she'll ultimately end up, but for now, I'm sure glad I didn't give up on her!!!
ya.gif

She has never acted sick so no fluffed feathers, droopy looking, sneezing, diarehea, etc... I do think that hers was a deficiency.

Another quick update! Birta is doing GREAT and is nearly 100% back to normal! She is roosting at night, taking dust baths, scratching, and I let her out last night for a couple hours to free range and she was ALL over the farm, just like her normal self. She's still on the Baytril, and I am mixing the Osteo-Form powder in the general feed pan for everybody, since they're starting to lay now, and it won't hurt them.

I think she just got severely depleted on calcium from laying those mega jumbo eggs, and then free ranging all the time, and just not spending time eating the layer feed. She had more important things to do like chase bugs, and she probably didn't eat more than 3 bites of layer feed in a week, and she never touched the oyster shell I had out.

From now on I intend to keep her locked in the run with everybody else where she has to eat the food provided. I'll only let her free range a couple hours a day to eat bugs and weeds and stuff. That should keep her supplies up in her system and not let her get so depleted. Dumb bird! Geeze!

This picture is from last night. She's the pure white one on the edge of the gravel driveway.

Last edited:
I have a similar issue with my hen. She lost movement on her left side (wing and leg), but now she can move her wing. Did anyone experience open mouth breathing with the paralysis? It seems that when she is laying down she open mouth breathes, but not so much in a sling (made out of underwear). Also, did the Vitamin B cause diarrhea? Otherwise, she is eating and drinking fine and pooping regularly.

I've read the first few pages of this thread but skipped to the end....

I have a very sick silkie hen. She is emanciated, can't walk, loses her balance, but is perky in that she looks at you and 'talks' when you talk to her. I have been hand feeding her baby bird formula, baby chick pellets all mixed with water so she stays hydrated. I've also given her vitamin B, vit e, and selenium. I don't know the exact doses since they're gel pills and I've squeezed them into the syringe and broken off a piece of selenium and given it to her. She will not eat on her own.

I've read about slings... are these necessary?

What else should I be doing?

Back
Top Bottom