What's you plan for 2024 chicks!

Keep us updated on your beautiful birds, maybe even creating your own thread about them! Yes, this little chick has feathered shanks, which is very interesting genetically. It'll be a year of pure breeding for me as well! I'm not really interested in breeding mixes, and I can't place them as easily
I’ll definitely keep you all updated! And, thank you for the suggestion! Post more photos of the chicks, as they mature. So sweet ❤️🥰

I'm probably going to get nothing this year. We have enough chickens and honestly there is no room for any more! I would want to breed April (Blue Easter Egger Bantam pullet) and Slate (Blue Cochin Bantam cockerel) to see which colors their chicks would come out as, but Slate has a natural leg deformity and I wouldn't want that to get passed down.

I'm going to be hatching mostly purebreds this year as well. I'll have Ameraucanas, Swedish Flower Hens, Dark Brahma, BCM, and silkies in March. Then hopefully more silkies later summer and maybe some lavender Ameraucana bantams, and Old English bantams (for the hubby, of course...), no promises that some EEs or silkie mixes won't accidently end up in the incubator too though!

I'm going to be hatching mostly purebreds this year as well. I'll have Ameraucanas, Swedish Flower Hens, Dark Brahma, BCM, and silkies in March. Then hopefully more silkies later summer and maybe some lavender Ameraucana bantams, and Old English bantams (for the hubby, of course...), no promises that some EEs or silkie mixes won't accidently end up in the incubator too though!
I love Old English Game Bantams! If you end up getting some, can you show me a picture of them? I have an Old English Game Bantam cockerel (although he's probably mixed with something else because he has incorrect ear color) named Jasper and he's absolutely beautiful. That is, when he's not flogging me. 🤣

I love Old English Game Bantams! If you end up getting some, can you show me a picture of them? I have an Old English Game Bantam cockerel (although he's probably mixed with something else because he has incorrect ear color) named Jasper and he's absolutely beautiful. That is, when he's not flogging me. 🤣
We bought some silkies in Dec and the lady also had an Old English lavender pair, we would have brought them home but she didn't say anything about them being available until the next day. And it was a 3 hour drive to get there so it just didn't work out to go back. They were gorgeous!

The local breeder I'll be getting everything except the silkies from has a friend with OE bantams so we will get some eggs from them. My hubby really wants the OE bantams so... I can't say no. 🤣 he thought the lavender Ameraucana bantams are cute too, didn't say he wanted any, but I'm reading between the lines here. They have the cutest and most beautiful little blue eggs 😍 so I'm having these dreams of a special bantam egg basket with tiny cute blue and white eggs. What will I do with them? I really don't know 🤣🤣🤣 I guess make some single serving 12 egg omelettes? Depending on how easily they peel, I'm sure they would be perfect for pickled eggs.

Last edited:
I'll be enjoying chicks vicariously this year. I'm maxed out on birds for my space, as far as my comfort goes. Maybe I'll get some in 2025, if I lose any. My oldest 3 (Black Australorp) hens will be 4 years old this March. They're still going strong, and I have no plans to get rid of them.

If/when I do get chicks, it'll probably be from Mt. Healthy again. If my roo passes, I would seriously consider getting 3 Bielefelders and one of them a male.

We bought some silkies in Dec and the lady also had an Old English lavender pair, we would have brought them home but she didn't say anything about them being available until the next day. And it was a 3 hour drive to get there so it just didn't work out to go back. They were gorgeous!

The local breeder I'll be getting everything except the silkies from has a friend with OE bantams so we will get some eggs from them. My hubby really wants the OE bantams so... I can't say no. 🤣 he thought the lavender Ameraucana bantams are cute too, didn't say he wanted any, but I'm reading between the lines here. They have the cutest and most beautiful little blue eggs 😍 so I'm having these dreams of a special bantam egg basket with tiny cute blue and white eggs. What will I do with them? I really don't know 🤣🤣🤣 I guess make some single serving 12 egg omelettes? Depending on how easily they peel, I'm sure they would be perfect for pickled eggs.
Lavender is a very beautiful color variety!

Back
Top Bottom