What's your favorite hatchery catalog?

Sitka

Songster
10 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Seattle, Washington
What's your favorite hatchery catalog?

I so enjoy looking at hatchery catalogs --- like how the old timers used to call the Sears catalog a "wish book."

I like the Murray McMurray catalog because of the many illustrations and because I have looked at it for the last 25 years. The only downside is that some of the old illustrations are not particularly accurate in portraying what some of the birds look like. The same for some of the Diane Jacky artwork (I like her work, but a photograph is obviously more accurate than a drawing.)

I like the Stromberg's catalog because of the photos but find it maddening to figure out the pricing, etc. IMHO it is not very well laid out in that sense. (Incidentally, the Stromberg's catalog used to have all sorts of exotic animals --- llamas, monkeys, etc. --- but now they focus more on chicks.

I like the Meyer's Hatchery catalog because it has actual photos, which are helpful.

Welp Hatchery's catalog has a nice mini-poster of all the breeds they sell, with actual photos.

What is your favorite catalog to look at? (I'm not asking about the pros / cons of the various hatcheries, which has been covered elsewhere --- just the catalogs. (Or websites.)

McMurray & google for better photos...

MM can give me an idea of the menu of chickens, and google will let me get photos once I narrow it down some.

IT is a tie between Mcmurray and Cackle. I like Cackle because it has pics of real birds. I like Mcmurray because it has more info. like how rare they are etc.

I like Welp because of the mini posters, but I also like MurrayMcMurray, because they have some breeds that Welp doesnt, and they also give nice descriptions of the breeds, I think I like them both equally.

I am totally addicted to the hatchery catalogs.... I swear every time they arrive in the mail each year I get this overwhelming need to order chicks!

I would have to say my number #1 favorite catalog is McMurray's... with Stromberg's a close second. (stromberg's is real close, especially since they now have pigeons and doves!)

Take Care,
Bill.

I got McMurrays, and thought it was really nice. Then yesterday I received Meyer's and I agree that its nicer to have real photos than the little colored sketches. I have to vote for Meyer's -

The pictures in Cackle's catalog represent the breeds well, but most of those pictures were taken at shows and most likely that is not the quality of birds you will receive from a hatchery. I like the variety of different birds that Stromberg's has but I must say that McMurray has the best catalog layout.
jumpy.gif

CACKLE HATCHERY!!!! Very nice catalog. Meyer Hatchery's is nice too but Japanese Bantams look terrible. McMurray Hatchery needs real photos of their stock!

Back
Top Bottom