What's your strangest "barnyard buddies" pair?

A lot of our free range birds hang with the goats. But the oddest one is a hen who had 4 chicks took them to see Jack the cow. They would all lay together and the chicks would climb all over Jack. Unfortunately we lost the hen, but the chicks who are almost grown now still stick with Jack the cow.
So very Sorry for the loss of your hen. I am noticing many of the people i meet here and neighbors near us have "barnyard buddies" like ours. I wonder if the chicks will bring their chicks to meet Jack too! I have kept goats several times, but chickens only once prior. I have lost 1 bird since we started back up raising birds this spring. Very odd, one of the Cornish X drowned. Its only about 8 inches deep, and small ( a rubbermaid storage tote LOL) was completely shocked it happened. i have it set out in full sun to grow duckweed, and have a few fish in it to keep them busy. My geese and ducks visit it daily, but the chickens usually ignore it. Was very upset with myself that he wasnt able to get out, and suprised, he was at least 3 pounds already, and probably a foot tall... I put a section of field fence over it so we dont lose anyone else. My birds can still reach in, but can"t get stuck or worse - drown.

They are not great swimmers. I lost a chick in Jacks water trough. Jack loves the chickens he is always real careful with them. My new baby goat is pretty interested in the chickens too, but I have one rooster that tries to attack her when she is out of her pen. I am not crazy about that chicken, he is mean. I think it is because he does not have any hens that will hang out with him, I keep telling him attitude is everything.

Lil X and Bacon are still here, I am sure she is a hen. She still won't leave the pigpen... Ugh. Bacon has a friend Roxy now, Lil X is not the least bit interested in Roxy. Trying to introduce my lil X her to the chicken flock. Roxy is a Hereford and will be our breeder.. was hoping they would be buddies too...oh well. I guess Lil X will just be the pigpen keeper when Bacon leaves. I will try to confine her in the coop and maybe she will give up?

They are not great swimmers. I lost a chick in Jacks water trough. Jack loves the chickens he is always real careful with them. My new baby goat is pretty interested in the chickens too, but I have one rooster that tries to attack her when she is out of her pen. I am not crazy about that chicken, he is mean. I think it is because he does not have any hens that will hang out with him, I keep telling him attitude is everything.

Ugh.. I have the same issue with the guinea cocks. My 3 whites (ones a hen) are just hateful birds. They were given to me and i understand why now! I will Breed my 2 hens and the whites are going to the freezer. Hateful mean birds, I have given timeouts, didn't make a difference. they attack anything they can, especially the other guineas.My little Pearl, Quasey is my wyandotte roosters favorite girl, so he protects her. I won't tolerate a mean bird. those 3 have passed any chance of redemption but the hen, i hope will at least produce a few chicks.

Back
Top Bottom