Wheels?

Cetacea

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
I am building my coop and thought that if I could put wheels on it it would make it a lot easier to move. It's a 4' x 4' x 4' thing and rather heavy. Anyone know where I can get wheels from? I don't want to spend like $100 on wheels so if you can think of something I can do let me know. Thanks.

What I did for mine was old lawn mower wheels. Alot of them being thrown out. If not that bicycle wheels.
HPIM1382.jpg
wee.gif
HPIM1385.jpg

Last edited:
Cetacea I am planning to hit the yard sales this weekend looking for something with wheels I can recycle. If nothing turns up I will hit the Goodwill and other thrift shops...I'm hoping to spend as little on the wheeles as possible. I am thinking a childs bike,big wheel tryke or maybe an old bbq will have something that will work..

Those are good ideas. I live in a rather rural area so don't have that many options.

When we go to the recycle center every week or so they have old gas grills all the time that you can take the wheels off for free, or bikes etc...

bigzio

How do you attach them so that they spin? I've seen some wheels like off a boat trailer, but they are like the kind you find on a car, and I don't know what you need to make it so it would spin.

The lawn mower wheels on mine are mounted to a metal plate that I attached to the wood through screws. Bicycle tires can be mounted on threaded rod that can be bought at Lowe's or any hardware store to the length that you want. Threaded rod all the way through would need extra nuts and washers to lock the rod that would go through the wood. It would need to be the same diameter as the rod that is in a bike tire. Take the old rod out of the tire since it will be too short for the application here. Hope this helps, if not, ask for more on anything that might be confusing.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom