Wheezing chicken

tinkestral

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 5, 2013
I need some advice ASAP . Last few days I noticed one off my hens seemed lethargic and was looking like it was trying to sleep during the day . I didn't notice any thing else , now looking closer at her she seems thinner and a awful smell was coming from under one off her wings . There is no obvious bite either . I have clean the smell under her wing and put vet powder on her too . But also noticing how she is wheezing too .
Also anti biotics has any one used human anti biotics for a chicken xx

is she eating and drinking? are you sure she doesn't have flystrike (a bad smell is a good sign of this)? did you check her whole body thoroughly under her feathers, including her vent? When you open her beak, does it smell bad? have you wormed her recently?

some human antibiotics can be used on chickens (such as penicillin), but they are not often used. the choice of antibiotic depends on the type of infection and what bacteria are present.

best, lynn

Hi Lynn , she is eating and drinking just not a lot.
I am assuming by fly strike she may have been but which is possible I just haven't seen bite mark. I just cleaned are and put vet powder on .
I am worried about the wheezing though. I can't smell any thing bad when I open her beak x

flystrike occurs when flies lay their eggs on an animal or bird's skin (usually near a scratch or wound, or near the vent), then maggots hatch and begin eating the tissue. it smells godawful.

have you wormed your hen recently? if not, you might want to do that.

best, lynn

I have checked my hen closely again today for any maggots and can't see any . But if its the case that may be it has some what do I do x

Upper respitory symptoms can be triggered by any number of things, a chain of events or a traumatic event. If your hen is weazing you will need to administer antibiotics. I have had success with doxycycline and yes, it was for human consumption . You need to use gram positive antibiotics, that target bacteria. I would also give her some yoghurt .

Thank you for your advice it's appreciated I will feed her yoghurt when I get home xxx

Back
Top Bottom