When can baby chicks live outside?

Thank you Loghousemom.We got super lucky and found it on criagslist. We had to drive an hour for it, the guy was very nice and a super chicken lover, gave us lots of tips and tricks, and spent an hour with us just chatting chickens. After having mine for 6 weeks I think I dare to say he had the cleanest coop in the history of chickens. He gave it to us for 200.00 which was great and just very gently used.

I modified it alittle by putting bull locks on the doors as there might be clever critters or dogs that can try to open them, and it had cheesy plastic windows so I knocked out the bottom 2 panes, and put hardcloth over them for more ventalation. The upstairs stays dry and I think we got a heck of a deal, and it is super cute. It's the older model so no handy cleanout tray, but good with the bad kind of thing. I'm really not sure if it'll be big enough for them to lay eggs in, but for right now, it's the perfect size.

Last edited:
I do think it is great! Where do you live? We are planning a move down south within the next few years and I am hoping that out little ladies will be coming along. I have been checking the laws so that where ever we decide to move that the chickens will be allowed. No illegal chickens for me. ;)

I love it! Where do you live at? I am hoping to get something similar when we move down south in a couple years.

We will see how many chickens we have by then and decide if they get to all come along or if we will need to rehome some. (I am sure that we will then be choosing a place in town so there might be limits. I have already been researching the rules on keeping chickens in the places we are considering. Ha!)

I do think it is great! Where do you live? We are planning a move down south within the next few years and I am hoping that out little ladies will be coming along. I have been checking the laws so that where ever we decide to move that the chickens will be allowed. No illegal chickens for me. ;)
I don't think I would consider a place with any animal restrictions now that Ive built a little mini-ranch out of my little 2.5 acre home. I can have any livestock I want here and I'm only 13 miles from work, and only 8 miles to town. I'd have to stay outside city limits.
Chickens, turkeys, dogs ,cats, we've had a horse and some goats but we got away from the hooven animals. Big garden, fruit trees, herb garden. yep, I'm spoiled.

Last edited:
I live in Massachusetts these days. I am sure southern laws are a bit more soft when it comes to chickens. Most towns don't allow roosters. Our only restriction was the coop had to be 25ft from the property line. 25ft is nothing to a crowing rooster, but I am lucky that none of my flock are boys :)

I would certainly take my flock if I ever left here, but I have grown fond of my home, it has everything I always wanted, and a bit of childhoofd memories and a bit of my own life..Honestly, this is where I live, about 100 steps away from this view, I would have a hard time leaving and feel a teeny bit of heaven around me :)

My babies are 10 and 13 days old. Yesterday was their first day out in the baby pen area of my coop. I have a brooder with a heat lamp that sits an inch off the ground. They spent yesterday inside the brooder but this AM they were out and running all over the pen. Our temps have been close to 90 so I am not worried about them. If they are cold they can go inside the brooder and warm up.

oh my goodness they must of had fun! Everytime I walk up to my coop now they think they get to come out lol..Constantly trying to make a break for it lol.

I live in Massachusetts these days. I am sure southern laws are a bit more soft when it comes to chickens. Most towns don't allow roosters. Our only restriction was the coop had to be 25ft from the property line. 25ft is nothing to a crowing rooster, but I am lucky that none of my flock are boys :)

I would certainly take my flock if I ever left here, but I have grown fond of my home, it has everything I always wanted, and a bit of childhoofd memories and a bit of my own life..Honestly, this is where I live, about 100 steps away from this view, I would have a hard time leaving and feel a teeny bit of heaven around me :)

So pretty! I would never leave either!

I don't think I would consider a place with any animal restrictions now that Ive built a little mini-ranch out of my little 2.5 acre home. I can have any livestock I want here and I'm only 13 miles from work, and only 8 miles to town. I'd have to stay outside city limits.
Chickens, turkeys, dogs ,cats, we've had a horse and some goats but we got away from the hooven animals. Big garden, fruit trees, herb garden. yep, I'm spoiled.

Yeah, after going through buying land and remodeling a home in the country, I really don't want to move to a city again, but with having in-laws who are ill and a husband who is an only child, I know we will be moving someday... I just hope wherever we land we will be able to bring all of our fluffy, feathered, and furry friends along with us!

Back
Top Bottom