When can I give my chicks treats and what are the best ones?

Quote:
My view also. ours have been on sand for 2 weeks, they were 3 weeks old friday. as for treats ours love meal worms. get them at the wally world in the fish bait box. 1.39 for 36. little buggers will rip your fingers off for a juicy worm.

My girls go apesh**t over corn on the cob! When it isn't available, I buy frozen corn. I now have to hold the bag waaayyyy over my head, or it will be full of holes in nanoseconds. I have also found they like mangos, salad greens, pepper plants, banana leaves (make that banana plants!), pomegranate trees, grass, grapefruit leaves, palo verde beetles, June bugs. Come to think of it, I haven't found much they DON'T like!

Mine won't eat ANYTHING besides grass LOL.
Quote:
Mine wont touch the stuff, they wont eat chopped up egg either....go figure:idunno

update- Tried the egg again the next day and they went psycho over it. Still don't like yogurt though.

Last edited:
Hi I have a question about the grit.
I opened the Manna brand bag of chick grit that I bought and a tone of dust bellowed out...I recall warnings in many threads by many people about the dangers of silica in sands and the likes. They just arrived today, are doing great but that made me not want to give them the grit. They are eating softened soaked/fermented starter, so it is not particularly hard thought some pieces are biggish. (it is seed and peck brand which includes very finely ground to slightly larger ground grains all mixed together.. but again it has been softened)
What do you all think about the silica. This grit looks like broken sort of greyish white rocks, with a "sparkle" to it.

hmm.png
Thanks

Hi I have a question about the grit.
I opened the Manna brand bag of chick grit that I bought and a tone of dust bellowed out...I recall warnings in many threads by many people about the dangers of silica in sands and the likes. They just arrived today, are doing great but that made me not want to give them the grit. They are eating softened soaked/fermented starter, so it is not particularly hard thought some pieces are biggish. (it is seed and peck brand which includes very finely ground to slightly larger ground grains all mixed together.. but again it has been softened)
What do you all think about the silica. This grit looks like broken sort of greyish white rocks, with a "sparkle" to it.

hmm.png
Thanks
Chicks don't really need grit unless they are eating treats and such. If they are just on the regular chick feed they don't need it. Once you begin feeding them treats (meal worms, grass, oats, etc) is when they need the grit.

Chicks don't really need grit unless they are eating treats and such. If they are just on the regular chick feed they don't need it. Once you begin feeding them treats (meal worms, grass, oats, etc) is when they need the grit.

thanks Sophia.
Can you or anyone else comment on the possibility of grit containing silica? (re my previous post)
thanks

I searched google, and the best answer I can give you is that if it contains silica it should say so on the package. If it's grit specifically made for chickens, it shouldn't contain silica because the maker should know how poisonous it is for the chickens.

If your using coarse sand or something else thats main use isn't chicken grit, read the warning labels and ingredients.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

What kind of grit are you using - like what kind of rock is it (granite, sand, etc)?
It is Manna Pro Chick Grit...the bag does not say anywhere at all what it is made of, only Ingredient: Grit
but
I found it online, their website says it is Insoluble crushed granite.
What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom