When can I tell if my roosters will coexist?

Cherie1n2

Songster
5 Years
May 5, 2014
Upstate South Carolina
I've never had more than two roosters and this year I'm attempting to keep 7. They live mostly in a 35'×70' fence with several coops and perching spots including trees. I let them out to free range after 5 pm on days that I know I'll be home. I've had problems with some flock members roaming if I give them more than 3-4 hours to play.

The roosters are:
Ameraucana 9 months old.
2 Malay
Saipan Jungle Fowl
Phoenix
2 Russian Orloff

The Ameraucana was from a breeder all the rest were hatchery and are exactly the same age. 23 weeks old.

The Malay and Phoenix have been crowing for about two months, the Saipan started today.. Neither Orloff are crowing.

So far things are peaceful.. They're are a few chases that end with a yank of a few feathers. The pullets and hens (I have 51 females) seem to have their picks and cause most of the squabbles telling on a male she doesn't like making advances.

My question.. I've heard breeding stock can influence aggression and hatchery strains are less likely to be super "I gotta kill you" mean.. Is there an age or maturity level that I can reach and know I'm relatively stable? In a slow maturity breed should I know by (blank) that the roosters are moderately OK together?

I have started building 5×8 separation coops outside the main area for broody females and for separation for breeding purposes.. But I really don't want anyone living in there perminantly.

How many hens do you have? Roughly 10+ hens to 1 rooster is best. Square footage is also important. Your run appears adequate depending on how many hens you have. How big is your coop? More space, hens, feeders, water will all help.

How many hens do you have? Roughly 10+ hens to 1 rooster is best. Square footage is also important. Your run appears adequate depending on how many hens you have. How big is your coop? More space, hens, feeders, water will all help.

51 hens.. I have two coop structures both 8' wide with 2 roosting poles in one and 3 in the other. But over half roost in either the trees in the fence or in poles run between low branches. I have three feed and watering areas.

You're a little light on hens but everything else sounds great! If you had 2 less roosters, or 20 more hens I'd say that would be ideal. With how much space you have though, you might be able to make it work.

Back
Top Bottom