When can my baby pigoen leave his parents?

Alicia G

Songster
9 Years
Sep 29, 2010
Nova Scotia
I have a baby pigeon that was hatched out in end of November/ beginning of December and it practically feathered out entirely. He still sits in the nests and yells his head off, not really sure if hes eating on his own. Anyways, the neighbours loves him and would like to have him but I don't know when to let him go.
Thanks
Alicia

When he leaves the nest and you see him eating on his own, then he is ready to be weaned. A good male will continue to feed his squabs even after they have left the nest. This time of year especially, I would not rush weaning.

Nope - not a bad thing. When it is time to leave the nest, he will. As babies they eat, grow, and poop a lot.

Mine stay in the nest until they decide it's time to leave. I go out to check on them one day and there they are on the floor...when that happens they're ready :) they will still be fed by a parent on the floor if they howl enough but I watch to see that they know where the food and water is and are eating on their own.

Alright so another few weeks and he should be good to go? He is really friendly and cuddly with anything and everything so the neighbour and I have decided we will pair him up with our special needs birdie. I think they should get along great. Any tricks to get him to eat on his own? I noticed the parents are getting a bit pushy with him...

Back
Top Bottom