When can my chicks got to the outdoor coop?

bhg002

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
I have 9 chicks that range from 4 to 6 weeks old. All but one have feathered out real nice and only have some fuzz on their heads. The one is a little behind but it huddles with the other chicks at night. They are currently in my guest bedroom (no heat lamp for over a week now) and I am wanting to put them in my coop outside this weekend.

I live in SW Virginia where the future forecast looks like the highs will average in the 60s the next week and the lows in the mid 30s-40s. Nothing below 30 after tomorrow that I can see!!

Please give your input as I am just learning.

For those who are interested I have 2 Rhode Island reds, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 speckeled sussex 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Black Australorp, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte

If these babies are your only chickens, you can put then out there with a heat lamp any time. If you don't want the heat lamp in the coop, you need to wait until everyone has feathered out well.
If you have older chickens in the coop, the babies need to be introduced to them slowly.

I put my first batch of chicks in the coop at 7 weeks, with heat. My current batch of babies are being brooded outside with a heat lamp.

Edited: because auto-correct hates me.

Last edited:
In my case, not soon enough!

he.gif

Thats what I was afraid off. I have electric running to my coop but I think that with the temps changing out side, a heat lamp could push the temp in the coop above safe. It is a 4x4 structure with the top being about 3 feet from the floor. My 250watt bulb would be to powerful. :confused:

Maybe a lower watt bulb? Or turn it off during the day? My DH wired my heat lamp to a dimmer, so between raising the light and dimming it, I can get the temp just right.

welcome-byc.gif

You can put them out now with a lower-watt bulb, I would think. My last batch of chicks were outside in early April in MN. The highs were in the 40's to 50's. I have a larger coop than you do, though. They were in one side of an 8'x16' shed that we converted. I used some 8" garden edging shaped into an oval. I had two lamps, hung at different heights, and with plenty of room so they could be in the heat or away from it as needed. The way to know the "right" temperature is to watch your birds. If they're huddled under the light, they're too cold - lower it. If they're scattered away from the light, they're too hot - raise it. If they're happily scratching, pecking and doing chicken things, it's just right. With temps in the 60's during the day, you won't even need a light since they're mostly fully feathered.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the information. I have a light on half of my coop and it is working. It seems to be maintaining the temperature at about 20 degrees higher than the temp outdoors which will help to keep it constant when it is on at night and off during the day. I believe that it is not overheating because the air that is underneath the coop is helping to keep it cooler.

glad to be a part of this community!
hugs.gif

Watch out for snakes. I live in Texas and lost 3 chicks to a rat snake. He could not eat them but killed them and tried to eat them.

I am in N W North Carolina so climate is the same+-. Mine have been out 3-4 weeks when feathered. One can use a small bulb if you have a wierd night. I also have used the outside days and porch nights method. 5 weeks in a draftproof coup should be fine in the confederacy.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I put them out on Friday and so far everything has been great. The temps have stayed between 48 and 54 so I have not used a light and they seem to be really happy. Tonight is the coldest it will get which is the lower 30s so I have a heat lamp to turn on before going to bed. I tested it the other day and this puts my coop into the 60s which is not bad.

Back
Top Bottom