When can you start to see signs of gender?? (PICS added!!)

Chick_In_The_Burbs

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Western Washington
My three chicks are getting close to three weeks old. Two are developing at about the same level but the third, Shania, has a larger comb than the other two. Distinctly larger. They are all EE's, sexed as female. When will I be able to tell for sure if MPC was right shy of a cockodoodle or egg?

Shania -What you can't see very well in these is the height of the comb. She's got about a millimeter or two on her sisters who are still completely flat.
61589_shania.jpg

61589_shania_profile.jpg

61589_shania_full_body.jpg

Her sister Scrambles
61589_scrambles_beak.jpg

**I should probably relist this under Gender, but I'm not sure how.

Last edited:
It depends on the breed when you can tell, but if you are looking to contact MPC to get money back for a possible sexing mistake I think you have to wait 16 weeks. It's on their website.

I'm not really worried about getting my money back; I'm worried about 1)getting really attached and having to rehome, 2) the fact that roos are illegal in Colorado Springs so I'd have to work out those details quickly and 3)finding a singular chick/started pullet to replace *him*. I only have three and if one goes away I'm worried that the remaining two might get lonely. The whole flock thing.

Here is my little EE pullet who had a fairly raised comb at four weeks...she is 11 weeks now and all girl.
52993_img_2014.jpg

Here are her brothers at the same age the three further back...the one on the R is an australorp
52993_img_2056.jpg

The boys have much bigger peacombs that started to turn red just before 4 weeks.
I would agree too give it more time.

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to keep an eye on them for the next few weeks and post pictures again later. It's amazing how fast they grow!

Mrs. Feathers- Thanks a ton for posting your girl. It makes me feel much better knowing that there might just be different levels of development going on.

Quote:
My BR did the same thing- huge comb at 3 weeks. We had even named 'him' Ozzie. She is now Harriette, and most definitely a girl.

Back
Top Bottom