When do chickens start laying after winter & molt

This is the "thing" I'm learning with backyard chickens - when you're limited to six (city code), and they're basically all the same age, into their second year, you probably won't get eggs from November (or earlier) until spring. That kinda sucks, ha! Feeding them and cleaning up their do-do as pets, basically - which I don't mind. My chickens make me laugh every day. It's good medicine.
Right?!? Like i should be rewarded for cleaning up after them 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 This is bull 🤣🤣🤣

Well to my surprise….. we got 4 eggs today…. have no idea whose they are as I think my one laying hen is still molting…. There were no eggs monday and i didn’t check yesterday….
9F24CDE5-3397-4CCE-8DF2-7C4867FE4CE4.jpeg

I've got a mix of hens, my buff orpington went broody in July & molted, so she and 1 other hen have continued to lay eggs sparingly through December & January. The other 11 mature hens have been molting and no eggs for 9-14 weeks. They're slowly coming back though, with 2 eggs now from 1 easter egger (1st in 10 weeks), but not the other who is still dishevelled looking. Also 2 eggs from my Russian Orloff - 13+ weeks for her, and now today an egg from 1 of my copper morans & an egg from a silver laced wyandotte (1st in 9 weeks for both of them) There really is no hard and fast rules with these birds, but I have noticed something which I think I've heard others here say before: keep an eye on your rooster. He's a very good indicator of what's going on with your hens. He has been particularly virile in the last week, and a day or so before the eggs started showing up, I spotted him courting a few of the hens that have started laying again. It caught my attention, because there hasn't been much going on in the romance department lately with all these half-naked cranky hens squawking don't touch me! (Poor guy).

I've got a mix of hens, my buff orpington went broody in July & molted, so she and 1 other hen have continued to lay eggs sparingly through December & January. The other 11 mature hens have been molting and no eggs for 9-14 weeks. They're slowly coming back though, with 2 eggs now from 1 easter egger (1st in 10 weeks), but not the other who is still dishevelled looking. Also 2 eggs from my Russian Orloff - 13+ weeks for her, and now today an egg from 1 of my copper morans & an egg from a silver laced wyandotte (1st in 9 weeks for both of them) There really is no hard and fast rules with these birds, but I have noticed something which I think I've heard others here say before: keep an eye on your rooster. He's a very good indicator of what's going on with your hens. He has been particularly virile in the last week, and a day or so before the eggs started showing up, I spotted him courting a few of the hens that have started laying again. It caught my attention, because there hasn't been much going on in the romance department lately with all these half-naked cranky hens squawking don't touch me! (Poor guy).
Unfortunately i don’t have a rooster ☹️

He has been particularly virile in the last week, and a day or so before the eggs started showing up, I spotted him courting a few of the hens that have started laying again. It caught my attention, because there hasn't been much going on in the romance department lately with all these half-naked cranky hens squawking don't touch me! (Poor guy).
When they are ready to start laying the hen's comb and wattles usually turn bright red. That is his signal that their eggs need to be fertilized. A good rooster pays attention to stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom