When do ducks stop laying for the season?

solarpup

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 8, 2013
Massachusetts
First time lady duck owner (we've had mallard drakes for a few years now).

Moneypenny, our Blue Swedish and a hair over a year old, has been laying an egg a day, with a one day exception long ago, since mid February. But, she seems to have stopped for two days now.

She's still waggling her tail, has a healthy appetite (especially for zucchini or meal worms), happily roams the yard and swims in the pond, and doesn't seem to be egg bound.

Is this it for the season? Or can we expect her to start up again when the weather cools down from the recent 90 F highs?

Here companion, Domino - a Black Sweidsh of the same age - is still going.

Mind you, if I just did 110 eggs in a row, for something like 3 times my body mass, I might take an egg laying vacation, too.

Since they are Swedish they should still lay for a while, until the fall when the days start getting shorter. There could be a few things going on. She might just be taking a bit of a break, like you said. It could be the extreme heat that has caused her to stop laying. If she is acting normal otherwise and doesn't look egg bound I wouldn't worry. FYI, an egg bound duck can't poop. So if she is pooping she is not egg bound.

She may also have stopped laying in the usual spot. One of my ducks has started to play an almost daily game of egg hunt with me. If I let them out of the run too early in the morning she will lay her egg under a bush in the yard. She really wants to brood some eggs. If this is a possibility with your ducks you might want to check your yard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom