When do I move my chicks

geana

Hatching
Apr 20, 2016
At what age do I move my chicks out of the broader and into the coop with the other chickens

Hello! What is your weather like? Are your chicks fully feathered and how old are they? If you can, please post a picture of your chicks.
smile.png

It is still in the high 40s to mid 50s oh here and they are 2 weeks old

Have you read down this forum and seen there are half a dozen threads just like yours? Yours is one of the most often asked questions on this forum, as well as appearing on a few others as well.

First off, chicks are able to handle cool temps quite well as long as they are acclimated. You can begin this process, as well as weaning them off heat, by taking your chicks outside for brief romps. Yes, two weeks is a very good age to begin. Choose a calm, sunny day and let them go outside.

They will let you know they need to go back under their heat, which should be a good ten degrees cooler than when you first got them. Keep their carrier handy and they'll go back inside it and huddle, then your just carry them back to their brooder.

If you do this each day, and keep reducing their heat, they will be ready to move into their coop at the end of age four weeks. And I don't even need to see a photo of their feathering to tell you this.

In the future, brooding outside in your coop is the way to go if you want chicks adapted to the cool climate early on. Read my article linked below this post on outdoor brooding. It's the second link.

As long as the section where you place them is protected against wind drafts and have a heat lamp, they should be okay. Make sure they have a divider so the other chickens can see them but not able to peck at them.

Back
Top Bottom