When do muscovies start to first lay

Gingernutt

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023
I have a girl that was hatched 25th March 2023 and I was wondering when should she start laying eggs? I read that some start at 6months old but she hasn't even started yet. Getting a little worried something might be wrong if she should already be laying eggs by now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230710_163112_380.jpg
    IMG_20230710_163112_380.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 40
In my experience many Muscovies have not started laying until they were a year old . Very rarely has a first year bird started laying. They are not high egg producers like the mallard derived breeds.
Oh that's good to know, I know my boy has tried to mount her but he's a little silly and doesn't understand how 😅 he ends up just humping half way up her back. Makes me wonder if mine are abit dumb.

i don’t have any muscovies, but I really wanted to say I think she’s very beautiful!!

and I copied this from google

They mature a bit slower than the other types of ducks, on average beginning to lay in their second year rather than their first, although early hatches can start laying from 6-8 months old if it hasn't turned cold yet.

Thank you 😊 she was ment to be chocolate and white but turned out black and white, she definitely going more white over face but she very sweet.

I knew muscovies was slow but didn't realise they was that slow 😅 I don't mind, I just wanted to be prepared for when she starts and avoid her getting egg bound because that would be my nightmare.

Lack of daylight is usually what delays them. They aren't big layers like other domestics to begin with, and once they start may go broody. My Runners and Buffs laid for 18 months straight once they started at 41/2 months something I sure wasn't used to having Muscovy for so long. My Muscovy begin laying in early March to late March and are done laying by September then they molt.

Lack of daylight is usually what delays them. They aren't big layers like other domestics to begin with, and once they start may go broody. My Runners and Buffs laid for 18 months straight once they started at 41/2 months something I sure wasn't used to having Muscovy for so long. My Muscovy begin laying in early March to late March and are done laying by September then they molt.
Yeah mine do go outside but its starts getting dark here at like 4pm and it's been very cold with heavy rain so they just stay in their shed with the door open but they don't want to go out in it.

Back
Top Bottom