When do roosters get their spurs?

i have an 8 week old rhode island red that is not as big as the others the same age...but i think its a roo because it's cone is very predominate and the chick is very agressive...i ordered only pullets but i'm so afraid this one is a roo....how can i know for sure at this age????

One of my buff sussex trio is supposed to be a roo. I see no saddle or spurs growing at 6 months. It has considerably larger wattles and comb, plus is out sizing the other 2 by a great deal? Any advice on this breed?:confused:

One of my buff sussex trio is supposed to be a roo. I see no saddle or spurs growing at 6 months. It has considerably larger wattles and comb, plus is out sizing the other 2 by a great deal? Any advice on this breed?
hu.gif
Can you post pictures?

With a buff bird, the males will have darker shading on the wings much of the time. At this age, he'll be leggy looking and usually stand out from the hens.

Can you post pictures?

With a buff bird, the males will have darker shading on the wings much of the time. At this age, he'll be leggy looking and usually stand out from the hens. 

Basil is now called Sybil. We were very lucky to pick up both Buff Sussex, and light Sussex Roosters on the weekend. The boys are getting on for now....? We will see how long it lasts.

I have a 3 month buff and the waddle and comb are redder and bigger then the others the same age. It also has longer legs and is darker in color. Does this mean it is a rooster

Ok I have a 'hen', 'roo' who is about 18 months old and is just getting spurs. Is this possible. He/She kind of acts roosterish (protective of other hens) but no mounting or crowing etc. Do I have a late bloomer or a hen with spurs?

Any thoughts?

Ok I have a 'hen', 'roo' who is about 18 months old and is just getting spurs. Is this possible. He/She kind of acts roosterish (protective of other hens) but no mounting or crowing etc. Do I have a late bloomer or a hen with spurs?

Any thoughts?

At 18 months, if it is a hen, it should be laying. Some hens not all of then can grow spurs? I have a game hen that has spurs, she is one of my to go broodies to raise chicks. If your hen/roo does not lay eggs, maybe you have a rooster. Maybe you have an alpha hen that is taking the role of a rooster. I have read that sometimes that happens when there's is no rooster in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom