When do they warm up to you?

Frizzy Chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Northern Virginia
I got my ducklings from TSC and they are 5 days now. When I take them out to clean or get any where near them they freamk out and run or peep very loudly. Im afraid Im going to give the littlest one a heart attack. What can I do to reassure them or gain trust? Is it just a time issue?

I've got the opposite problem with my Seb. goslings...they're underfoot and follow me everywhere! I wonder if you'd hold one at a time quietly on your lap so they can see you're not The Devil???

do you ever just go in where they are and sit down at their level? or are you just cleaning and standing over them? and treats are good. maybe some mashed peas would do the trick.. but i think just spending time with them would help too.

I will take some pictures and post but I go in and sit beside them and I have held them many times. But they start to peep and breathe hard. Like I said I thought I was going to give it a heart attack. I also didnt know how long they could be out from under the heat lamp. We have had them since Monday morning and I spend some time in the room with them every morning with the kids and every evening with my husband (theyre really his ducks
wink.png
). We got them for pets so I would like to be able to be around them when they get bigger without them running away and I am unsure of how to bond with them.

Mine used to hate me, but I used peas and just sat out there by them and now they come up and eat out of my hand and let me pet and hold them without any fuss. So, PATIENCE is the key!

Well I would say don't panic just yet! they are wonderfully small enough to learn to trust you etc...
My advice: ducklings like to feel protected, when you pick them up, wear some old clothes, and stick them in your cardigan so they feel like they can hide in a nice warm place, and talk to them..
(my first duckling wanted to escape off me asap, until he realise he can hide while he was on me) Start as you mean to on, hold your hands infront of them without trying to catch them, that way they will see you dont chase them your harmless.. the more you spend time with them the freindlyer the become... I had a storage box for my ducklings, so if i went in a different room they would come too.. making sure they could see me as much as possible...... only problem is now! mine stand by the kitchen door waiting for me lol...
but seriously it just takes a bit of time, once they have worked things out, all will be easy..
Mine became so bonded etc, that i take them with me when i visit family! they love going on the bus or in the car.. its great to class them as companion pets
wink.png

I have had my ducks for 2 weeks and i am getting to the point where 2 of them are completely fine with me picking them up (one of the 2 has to see the other ducks to be happy) but my last two im working on they eat out of my hand now so its getting better

I'm new to ducks, mine are only 3 weeks old, but mine took some time at their level before they don't see me as a threat. I see yours are mallards or rouens.. From what I have read, they are naturally fearful of humans, but it can be broken simply by meeting them on their level. Get an old towel, put it in your lap and watch a movie with one or two of them.. Handle them as often as you can.. And when retrieving them from your brooder pick them up from underneath them..
Treats... Lots if treats !! Invest in a sweet pea company!

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom