When do Wyandottes generally start laying?

Don't think free ranging has anything to do with it. I have 3 Wyandottes. 2 have been laying since July....one has even gone broody and is back laying but my SL has not layed yet. All free range and are happy little carnivorous. You can also tell who is laying just by looking at the color of their combs/wattles. The two that lay have bright red combs while the non layer's is still pink.
It was interesting to note that when the one went broody, her comb reverted back to pink and when she started laying again it turned back to a bright red.

Today being their birthday, these 4 ladies have been promoted from pullets to full fledged laying hens. & it's a fine fine job that they are doing, 23 eggs last week. That's a record for them!Keep up the good work Ladies!
smile.png

Mine started at about 30 weeks. At least they stop laying at a later age as well. I have 10 chooks, only 3 of them wyandottes and I can say they probably lay every other day as I get up to 9 a day, usually 7 or 8.

Thanks! So, I guess it's not unusual for them to take longer to start laying. I only have 1 Wyandotte, but she is huge ... the biggest one in the flock. Her comb and wattles have been bright red for over a month. I haven't seen her squat, but I haven't seen any of my other 6 (Cream Legbar, light brown Leghorn, Ameracauna and Dominique) squat either and 5 are laying ... one is still too young.

My gold laced started laying half way through the 19th week. Still nothing from my silver laced and it's 21 weeks now. Her wattles aren't any where near as big as the gold. She did try to help her friend out by getting in the nest box with her though. It's super cute. :)

Back
Top Bottom