When do your hens finish laying

Clay In Iowa

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Near Wilton Iowa
I know this has been a topic many times but I'm curious. I've seen several posts that their hens finish up by 10:00 AM... How??? Do you beat them???

My hens lay all day, some don't finish till almost dusk. They have PLENTY of boxes to choose from and are allowed to roam a 4,000+ square foot enclosure. As soon as I get home (~ 3:00 PM) they are allowed to roam till they roost.

They don't even get started till noon or so. Is there a trick to getting them to lay earlier??? Confining them to the coop isn't an option.

"You can lead a hen to her nest, but you can't make her lay."
tongue.png

Nature just takes it's couse I think - I've noticed my hens lay times have flucuated a bit, and I've read other posters who say there laying cycles start early morning and gradually get later until they skip a day and start the cycle all over again. As if they lay every 25 hours or something...

big_smile.png
I only have 1 laying... waiting on the rest. She lays between 10-11am everyday. (13 days with only 1 day off so far!) I only keep mine penned up till I get off work hoping that they'll lay before then and aren't just out free ranging when the feeling strikes making them plop down wherever... but I've been checking bushes and trees just in case

Back
Top Bottom