When do your hens start laying again after stopping for winter?

First year with chickens here. Do they typically have any behavior changes when they start laying again? I can't tell if my buff orpoington is getting ready to lay again or if she may be having trouble pooping. She's laying down, head tucked back in her wing, tail is bobbing. She seems okay. Red comb, responsive, eating and drinking. Not lethargic.
Is she being bossy? Mine act weird and get bossy when laying.

Is she being bossy? Mine act weird and get bossy when laying.
Not bossy, we have two older ladies. Hatched 7 chick's in early November, shes very motherly to them. She wants nothing to do with the humans anymore. Our other hen (barred rock) is very bossy and outright mean to the young birds

Mine usually resume squatting, since I actively encourage it that's a pretty easy way to tell.

If you think the bird in question is having problems pooping you should isolate her in a crate for a day and that way you can get a good look at her poop.
I've been monitoring her for a few days, she's been pooping normal looking poops. They're smaller than the average (she has really big poops normally) but still look healthy. I noticed today when I got home from work that her tail was bobbing and I hadn't seen her poop in the hour I'd spent hanging out. She was actively walking around scratching and whatnot

Back
Top Bottom