When does a bloodline become "Yours"

Celtic Hill

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
Scotland CT
I was thinking, when can you be like "My Blood line?" Obviously if you hatch out f1 chicks from breeder A then they would be "Breeder A's Blood Line" So how manny generations till you have your own bloodline?

Just curious

In my opinion as soon as you are the person that decides what will be mated to what, and raise (& or cull) the progeny along the way.

My opiinion is when you start picking the breedings, but I would technically say your f2's would be technically yours because you picked the birds from breeder a, you then mated them, then you then raised and culled your f1's to then produce f2's.

Once you buy a bird and introduce it to another to produce offspring; The line belongs to you. The breeder that you bought the birds from has no control over how you pair your birds for mating purposes. In the same regards, advertising offspring from your birds as "birds from some well known breeder that you bought your birds " is actually being dishonest for the same reason, the original breeder had no control of your pairings. Your chicken lays the eggs= your bloodline

()relics :

Once you buy a bird and introduce it to another to produce offspring; The line belongs to you. The breeder that you bought the birds from has no control over how you pair your birds for mating purposes. In the same regards, advertising offspring from your birds as "birds from some well known breeder that you bought your birds " is actually being dishonest for the same reason, the original breeder had no control of your pairings. Your chicken lays the eggs= your bloodline

You make a point but to some extent i have to disagree, you buy those birds and say your a small breeder but you buy from some big breeder now if you are selling eggs you could say i have bloodlines from big name breeder, that way costomers knows you have quailty. Just like with horses, i have a horse that is breed from impressive, so i say i have an impressive bred mare, no someone could take it two ways "He has a really nice halter horse" or "He has a cripled pice of junk" so i guess im going in cricles but do you understand?​

I think that you can put in your ad that your bloodlines include ....... That way your listing them as your bloodline but also acknowledging the various breeders in your birds background.

The first generation from what ever birds you have purchased would be your bloodlines unless you buy a roo and various hens from one breeder and continue to mate them together. I would think they would still be considered the original breeders bloodlines untill you cross it with something else.

Lanae

For myself, I consider the birds I get from an original breeder still 'their' line until I introduce new blood. While I consider all birds 'mine', I still will give credit to the original lines they come from, but not to the extent that I am taking credit for someone elses hard work.

I consider the bloodline 'mine' as soon as my first generation has had babies. Those babies are now 'my' personal, original bloodline. I dont mind telling folks where I got my original stock, since I think people want to know the history of some of their birds, and it helps to be able to say I started with quailty stock from a known and respected breeder. Its pretty hard to come up with your own bloodlines without using someone elses', and where better to start than with a line that is well-known and respected?

Really, unless you started with an original, heritage breed that has had zero other bloodlines introduced and its been in your family for generations, we all start out with someone elses' bloodlines. Its up to us to create our own from there and call them ours.

I amend my earlier position to say that while I think F2 would still be considered the original breeders bloodlines, f3 would not because you may not have culled the same as the original breeder would have when the F2's were hatched. So any choice of breedings after using the originals birds would be considered yours and unfair to the original breeder to keep calling them theirs especially if you made unwise choices in breeding mates that reflected in the quality of the birds.

Hopefully that made sense. I have quite a few breeders birds in my bloodlines yet I am constantly mixing and matching, so they are all my fault or my genius depending on how you look at it.

Lanae

As for me, I don't care how the birds or how many generations you are from the original breeder but it is honesty if you are looking for a particular strain that you want to use on your birds or want to use the same strain but several generations removed.

Like for me, I can say I got them from Nate Vanwey which his stock or my stock are from Grisham and Hall lines along with Calicowoods which majority of the Welsummers came from Lowell Barber. That way the buyer can make informed choices IF he wants to use that line or lines for his flock to improve but keeping in mind, once you "outsource" from a different line, it's a huge risk. That is why I love breeders that says well my stock came from so and so and IF they decided to say "its MY line and I don't have to tell you where they came from", you BET your boots I will keep looking elsewhere! I've been told several different incidents that a couple of breeders say they were from this person and I would contact THAT person mentioned to make sure he did get the birds, eggs or chicks from them.

Back
Top Bottom