When should I intervene with a hatch? I'm afraid the membrane may be too dry.

CluksNDucks

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2016
Naselle, WA
I'm just curious if I should be concerned...I know it's a slow process but it's been like this for about 7 hours now. It's not shaking or moving too much, but is chirping and seems to be breathing just fine.

We've had to help shrink-wrapped chickies before, but more often than not they pop the rest of the way out during the night with no problem. If it hasn't been a day (or at least over night), I would keep an eye on it and wait.

For incubating and hatching, a humidity gauge can be a huge help. They're pretty inexpensive (the cheap analog ones are about 5 bucks), and you can find them in most pet stores that have a small reptile section, so I recommend one of those too.

SUCCESS! All is good, I did help as even under the shell the membrane was leathery. But shortly after I put him back in the bator he manged his way out! Thanks for all you help on this little guy! He's chirping and moving wildly around the bator bumping into his siblings still in their eggs.

wee.gif
Hooray!!!

It does look a little dry - make sure your humidity is high (70%). It can take 24 hours from pip to when they start zipping, so sit on your hands and I bet you'll have a chick in the morning!

Looks like part of the membrane is dried and stuck on it's beak, I'm not sure if that's preventing it form moving around too much or not but it hasn't moved from it's position in 12 hours now.

Back
Top Bottom