When should we switch to layer feed? Chickens are 14 weeks old.

My birds are 14 weeks and I have maybe a weeks worth of grower food left. I was thinking of switching to layer formula, but I'm not sure what the right thing to do is either?

My Isa Browns are right at 16 wks. I ran out of the grower, I just switched them to layer feed. But they dont eat much,of it. They freerange, So they dont hit the feeders too much

Quote:
But it's never a bad idea to give the pullets a source of calcium to "bank" in anticipation of their first egg. That way they won't have to use the calcium that they need for their own bodies to create an eggshell. No harm is going to come to them from having a little calcium and most commercial feeds are pitifully low on calcium (only 3 to 4 %) a few weeks early. In fact if I had say 15 week old pullets and ran out of feed, I wouldn't waste my money buying more grower, I'd just switch them a little early. Make sense?

I probably have fudged at times also, but when giving other people information I try to go by what is recommended by the experts, which is to feed a developer feed to pullets raised to be layers until at least 20 weeks of age, and layer feed once they start laying.
smile.png

There is no rule that says you are required to feed layer feed, you know. You can simply keep feeding an "all flock" feed and offer oyster shell on the side and your hens will lay exactly as well as they would on layer feed.

The advantage of this is that in the future, when you add more chicks to your flock, you won't have to endure the disruption of withholding layer feed until the chicks reach point of lay or trying to juggle two different kinds of feed and keeping the chicks away from the layer feed.

Besides, it's been my experience, hens like all flock feed much more than the taste of layer feed.

It's another option.

I have the same question. Mine are 14 and 16 weeks and not sure to start them on layer feed yet.

Most feeds state on the bag not to start until 16-18 weeks. I picked up 12 16 week old red sex links 2 1/2 weeks ago & got my first egg today. I will be switching to layer pellets next week, as I'm tired of the crumbles that don't flow through the feeder when I'm away. Not much available in organic grower pellets, so I just supplement with my own meat.

My chickens are approximately10 wks old. Do I put them on a new feed now or stay with starter? Man at TS said it doesn't matter since they probably won't lay eggs by winter. I'm in southeast GA so need advice please.

Back
Top Bottom