When to care... or care by culling? Injured right leg - @16weeks chick.

Oh I just thought too.

In relation to risk of disease etc.... we had some mice and even rats this autumn season (not just my property but other neighbours too that don't have an aviary or chickens). I don't have any now, but I am thinking, that maybe they have carried something to my property, especially if they have gone across the neighbourhood. I am not sure of the behaviours of vermin like this but I know with plagues on farms that go for miles/Kms. But not sure in urban area behaviours.

Their presence at different times - before being caught/dying, could have introduced something, e.g. MD or otherwise.

Just a thought - towards solving the mystery if it is a virus or disease if not a simple leg injury, that is slow to mend.

Is it frequent that chickens run loose where you live?

If you have the video in your own files, you can upload it on You Tube. Then when you post here, hit the piece of film icon, and copy and paste the url address in there. It should come up in your post.

But it's all hard to say whether or not they have Marek's unless they test positive for it in a lab.

Seminolewind, thanks for you post above.

To answer you question... Yes, my chickens have the garden to forage in /free range daily from breakfast to sunset. It is an urban yard.

I am thinking it is not MD. She wants to get up and go. She has no body sores, no eye /perception problems, has not deteriorated neurologically.

I am most sure it is (as I originally posted) an injury of sorts affection her ability to weight bear on the right leg. And consequently has become infected with a respiratory infection (conceding) whilst sitting around resting it. The later contributing to weight loss and dehydration (fully concerning).

I nurse her indoors and outdoors. With foods, water (barely drinks), multivitamins.
We are getting there. She is a delight to care for and a fighter.
Unsure if that hock joint will ever repair, but i will give her a good go of it - now that I have a system in place again and not busy researching MD and problem solving from that angle. I feel more at ease in helping her recover. Yet I will be sensible if her quality of life is lost.

The chicken farmer who she and two other fertilised eggs came from will meet us this week, if he decides it is not MD and not anything contagious, then we will swap the other, that has turned out to be a beautiful big BOY (and bully of her - so I and she will not be sad to see him go). I pray the replacement Rhodey hen will blend in well with Isa Brown mumma, and injured Rhodey.

I will confine new in back yard and them in the other during the day so they get familiar with sounds etc of each other first- ? for a couple of days, and introduce her to the roost/bed one evening when mumma goes to bed (injured one inside in her sling at night at this stage).

Back
Top Bottom