When to intervene with duck egg

jasonvanorder

Songster
6 Years
Feb 21, 2017
West Michigan
So this is my first try at hatching duck eggs. I set 8 pekin eggs but only one made it. Yesterday (Monday) about mid morning it finally externally pipped. Right on time for when I set them. But there has been very very little progress since then. Only one tiny bit of the shell has fallen off where it pipped. Am I being too impatient? Or should I step in and help the little bugger out? I’ve read it can take 24-30 hours after external pip for the duckling to continue hatching but I’m getting worried. What should I do?

Last edited:
So this is my first try at hatching duck eggs. I set 8 pekin eggs but only one made it. Yesterday about mid morning it finally externally pipped. Right on time for when I set them. But there has been very very little progress since then. Only one tiny bit of the shell has fallen off where it pipped. Am I being too impatient? Or should I step in and help the little bugger out? I’ve read it can take 24-30 hours after external pip for the duckling to continue hatching but I’m getting worried. What should I do?
I am new to hatching as well, but all 3 of my last duck eggs took between 30-40 hours after external pip to actually start hatching.

Blah!! The suspense is killing me! I just want to meet the little bugger already! Thanks for the reply
So this is my first try at hatching duck eggs. I set 8 pekin eggs but only one made it. Yesterday (Monday) about mid morning it finally externally pipped. Right on time for when I set them. But there has been very very little progress since then. Only one tiny bit of the shell has fallen off where it pipped. Am I being too impatient? Or should I step in and help the little bugger out? I’ve read it can take 24-30 hours after external pip for the duckling to continue hatching but I’m getting worried. What should I do?
Hi
Oh ducks just love to give us stress and teach us about patients lol
They can take 24-48 hours
Sometimes you will see that external pip earlier then the normal of the air cell was on the smaller side as baby will run out of air a lot quicker and force the external but would still need the time to absorb and rest for hatch
Can you send a picture of the egg ?
When you whistle or tap the glass does the egg wiggle or hear any chirping sounds ?

Hi
Oh ducks just love to give us stress and teach us about patients lol
They can take 24-48 hours
Sometimes you will see that external pip earlier then the normal of the air cell was on the smaller side as baby will run out of air a lot quicker and force the external but would still need the time to absorb and rest for hatch
Can you send a picture of the egg ?
When you whistle or tap the glass does the egg wiggle or hear any chirping sounds ?
26C5BC02-5CD1-43BC-AE3B-3FFF4335D2D6.jpeg

Woke up this morning to a little more progress. But not much. The little bugger is very active in there. The egg is constantly wiggling. Can’t hear anything though. But part of that is because of the other 30 chicks just feet away causing a ruckus and my hearing isn’t the best to begin with. Hoping we will have a new duckling by this afternoon

View attachment 3091588
Woke up this morning to a little more progress. But not much. The little bugger is very active in there. The egg is constantly wiggling. Can’t hear anything though. But part of that is because of the other 30 chicks just feet away causing a ruckus and my hearing isn’t the best to begin with. Hoping we will have a new duckling by this afternoon
That’s great news baby will hatch on its own when it’s ready
If it’s getting more active and a little more progress it means baby is working and absorbing
We need baby pics once it hatches :)

View attachment 3091588
What day of incubation is today?

Back
Top Bottom