When to let new barn cats out of crate?

McGill

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
Kansas
Everything I've read says 2 to 4 weeks. How do you know when it's okay to let cats out after you get them? These two are 6 months old, they were not feral. They were previously loved barn cats, she just had too many of them. I'm just afraid if I let them out too soon they won't know to come back here

Attachments

• 20230709_175558.jpg
    20230709_175558.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 41
Everything I've read says 2 to 4 weeks. How do you know when it's okay to let cats out after you get them? These two are 6 months old, they were not feral. They were previously loved barn cats, she just had too many of them. I'm just afraid if I let them out too soon they won't know to come back here
After they've been spayed/neutered.

I got my barn cats the same way you got yours, born and raised outside, but well loved like house cats. When they were kittens they were locked in the separate garage for about three weeks so they could learn where home was. Then they were let outside to explore.

As long as you're feeding them, the cats will come back.

Mine were adults and both neutered when I took them to the stables. I kept them in for 3 weeks before letting them out. They carry on now like they’ve lived there forever! :lol:

I have 4 barn cats that we adopted from a rescue. All semi-feral. They were spayed prior to our adoption. They stay in the cage for 3 weeks and then leave the cage up and in the barn for a week with the door open just so they confirm it is their home in there. Have fun! We love our barn kitties!

Back
Top Bottom