When to make a safety hole?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
it’s been 21 days, but my last hatch took 23. These eggs are a quarter size of that hatch though, serama vs. regular.

Should I candle for an internal pip and then count 24 hours? But I wouldn’t know if there was malposition in that case. I don’t know how to go about this.

Just candled them and only one of the eggs is alive if any
So sorry. Seramas do have the creeper gene in their background, so it’s not unusual to lose some near lockdown time. My seramas usually hatch by late day 19 to 20, though your temps would of course play a big part on whether or not it’s late for them. I have found over the years that I get a better hatch rate with a slightly higher incubation temperature, they hatch a little early, but seem to do better. I don’t normally have to do safety holes, as they usually pip on their own, but some fail to zip and need assistance between pip time and zip time.

it’s been 21 days, but my last hatch took 23. These eggs are a quarter size of that hatch though, serama vs. regular.
Chicken eggs shouldn't be taking 23 days to hatch. Your incubator is too cool.

I hatch large (leghorn) and small (Sebright and OEGB) eggs together almost every hatch. The smaller eggs hatch Day 20.5 and larger eggs bang on day 21 everytime.

Back
Top Bottom