When to mix w/ rooster?

Subie19

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
Hi! I am new to the chicken life. We have 1 rooster who is about 6 months old (Partridge Silkie) . His hen passed away about 1-2 months ago from a chest infection that we could not get rid of. He has been alone and we recently got a mix of chicks, some are 4-5 weeks old and other 1-2 weeks old. The chicks are currently inside the house in a brooder. At what age can they be introduced to the our rooster? I feel like he is lonely but want to keep the chicks safe. We live in central FL but it's too chilly at the moment to have chicks outside.

Hi. Welcome! I'm on the same boat, here in central fl. I will move my chicks at 6 weeks ago next week, they have been getting sun on and off and have a rooster (6 mo old as well) that is lonely so I will place them in a separate area of the coop so they can see each other and interact without being together yet and monitor for a few days how it goes. I will place the brooder inside and turn it on the evenings until we are in the 60s and 70's (hopefully in the next 2 weeks).
Let me know how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom