When to move chicks outside

ccat1

Chirping
Sep 3, 2015
We recently got 6 chicks (Buff Orps and Blue Plymouth Rocks) and they are now approaching 4 weeks old.
We are raising them upstairs in a spare bedroom in a ever shrinking big tub.....they are starting to get HUGE.
A heat lamp is used to keep them warm and they seem like very happy little clucks.
Question.........when could I move them out to my shop? Here in Northern Alabama, our winters are somewhat mild, and no really cold temps are forecast.
I'd build them a bigger brooding area and keep the heat lamp. They are trying to jump out at any opportunity when I take off the hardware cloth from the top.
We have 3 other hens (4 years old). 2 Black Copper Marans and a Blue Copper Maran that these little ones will be added too later this spring.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have Brahmas. I do not introduce my youngsters to the adult free ranging flock until at least 4mos old and they are close to a similar size. But my chicks stay in their brooding pens indoor (garage) until 6-8 weeks. Then they are moved to an outdoor secure run for 2 months. This lets the older birds see and interact with them but keeps a fence between them. Makes integrating the flocks much easier.

What does your forecast look like? No reason not to start acclimating them to outside temps now, provided it doesn't get too cold.

Oh wait, you said shop. What are the temperatures in there? Shouldn't be any reason you can't move them into there now unless you're due for a sudden cold spell.

We recently got 6 chicks (Buff Orps and Blue Plymouth Rocks) and they are now approaching 4 weeks old.
We are raising them upstairs in a spare bedroom in a ever shrinking big tub.....they are starting to get HUGE.
A heat lamp is used to keep them warm and they seem like very happy little clucks.
Question.........when could I move them out to my shop? Here in Northern Alabama, our winters are somewhat mild, and no really cold temps are forecast.
I'd build them a bigger brooding area and keep the heat lamp. They are trying to jump out at any opportunity when I take off the hardware cloth from the top.
We have 3 other hens (4 years old). 2 Black Copper Marans and a Blue Copper Maran that these little ones will be added too later this spring.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
If you have a decent cage for them and a very powerful heater. you can go ahead and have them outside, they're gonna grow very very fast and you need to set that cage quickly.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. My shop isn't heated but insulated. If it's 30 outside, it's probably 40 in the shop. I think I'll leave them in our house thru this week but probably by weekend, I'll move them to my shop and build them a bigger place and use the heat lamp for them to get under if needed. In a few months, I'll move them to their permanent run with the other clucks.
Thanks again for the advice.

My shop isn't heated but insulated. If it's 30 outside, it's probably 40 in the shop. I think I'll leave them in our house thru this week but probably by weekend, I'll move them to my shop and build them a bigger place and use the heat lamp for them to get under if needed.

Yeah they should be fine in the shop with the option of heat. Start weaning them off the heat and they'll be off it in a week or two.

I put mine out in their own coop at 1 week when i know their healthy and no pasty butt(Shipped chicks).
Heat lamp in the corner, temps in the 30's some nights and they are fine and running around eating and drinking then go back under the heat lamp when needed. All are thriving. You could also use a mama heat pad instead of a heat lamp. Either way, they wont freeze to death. Chicks are smart enough to sit under the heat when needed but i have found that even with temps in the 30's at night, they are out away from heat running around and playing at that time.

Mine go out to their own section of the coop, with their heat source, by three weeks of age, when their Marek's vaccinations are solid. I don't have Marek's disease out there, but taking no chances.
They will use their heat lamp, or brooder plate, for another two weeks or so, until fully feathered, and then almost ignore it, and it gets removed.
Here in Michigan, I won't get chicks until April, unless broody hatched, so no sub-zero temps, but below 32F often still outside.
Mary

Thanks for all the replies and advice. My shop isn't heated but insulated. If it's 30 outside, it's probably 40 in the shop. I think I'll leave them in our house thru this week but probably by weekend, I'll move them to my shop and build them a bigger place and use the heat lamp for them to get under if needed. In a few months, I'll move them to their permanent run with the other clucks.
Thanks again for the advice.
I think that will be great.. keep up the good work, its great to have a large space for them. thats great to hear. keep up the good work..

Back
Top Bottom