when to put chicks in the coop

My 3 pullets are now all laying... because I have no roosters, does that mean the eggs cannot be fertile? (Yes, dumb chicken newbie!) Also, none of the girls seem to want to sit on the eggs after they lay them. Can the eggs get too cold or be left too long to hatch?

My 3 pullets are now all laying... because I have no roosters, does that mean the eggs cannot be fertile? (Yes, dumb chicken newbie!) Also, none of the girls seem to want to sit on the eggs after they lay them. Can the eggs get too cold or be left too long to hatch?

Since you don't have a rooster your eggs will not be fertile.
Also not all hens are broody(sits and protects eggs) bit it is not a problem most of my hens lay their eggs get up and walk out the coop. But since your eggs are not fertile it does not matter if they sit or not. Hope this helps

Hi there, I found your answer very helpful.  I have the same question about moving the newly hatched chicks out to be with the broody hen in the coop.  The hen hatched one chick and abandoned the other eggs.  We took the other eggs in to incubate and we think 1 or 2 will hatch soon.  We assumed it's better for the chicks to grow up in the less sanitary environment, like the coop vs a cage, so it's a more natural upbringing...and she'll have the guidance of the mother hen.  Also, there are two other hens in there with them.  They seem to mind their own business and the broody momma is boss so we just figured they are fine together.  So basically you suggest to move them into the coop right away, like a day later after hatching and their feathers dry/fluff?  We should put them in there at night so the Momma hen is more accepting right?  But if we're supposed to put them in the "cave" we build to keep them warm, then we can't put them under the momma at night.  Does it matter?  Thanks, any info helps us to understand what's best.  

-Marisa 

How long has it been since the other chick hatched? Did mom abandon the rest of the eggs?

Ok...I realize this is a very old post but maybe someone can help me. I am in northeast Texas. I could have sworn I read not to move them to the coop until about 10 weeks but that seems way too long compared to what I'm reading here. So, what four weeks?

Also, I have two rounds of chicks about a week apart with the oldest being just about two weeks old. When do I take them off chick starter? What is the best feed to move them to?

Ok...I realize this is a very old post but maybe someone can help me. I am in northeast Texas. I could have sworn I read not to move them to the coop until about 10 weeks but that seems way too long compared to what I'm reading here. So, what four weeks?

Also, I have two rounds of chicks about a week apart with the oldest being just about two weeks old. When do I take them off chick starter? What is the best feed to move them to?

Don't be in a hurry to take them off chick starter. They can stay on a chick starter/grower (unmedicated) until after they start laying. Just make sure they have oyster shell free choice once they get close to laying age (or when you find that first surprise egg next to the waterer). :) The extra protein in the chick starter is good for them. Once they start laying, you can switch them to a layer feed, but I feel like they need more protein than what is in layer feed, which is usually only 16%.

I put mine in the coop immediately after they dry off and come out of the incubator. As long as they can get warm (I use a heating pad to brooder them) and they're protected from attacks by older chickens, they can go in the coop right from the incubator.

Folks who brooder with a brooder lamp feel like the chicks should be feathered out before they go in the coop because putting a brooder lamp in the coop is very dangerous so they have to be old enough to not need supplemental heat, but if there are olders already in the coop, they'll still need an escape to be safe. "Feathered out" isn't on a definite timetable. It depends on if the breed is fast-feathering or slow-feathering, so anywhere between 8 and 12 weeks. Maybe earlier if they no longer need supplemental heat and you can get away with using a huddle box.

Do you have olders already in the coop? Are you broodering with a heating pad or the dreaded brooder lamp?

These are in the coop at a day old, getting checked out by an older. The orange electric cord is for the heating pad contained inside that colorful pillowcase in the background.

Last edited:
I transition mine off of starter starting around four weeks, or whenever they are big enough to start eating the 20% meat bird pellets I feed all my birds. I get them from my local feed store and the pellets seem smaller than most brands like Nutrena or Purina, so that helps. I also usually move them outside within the first week And use a heating pad and by for weeks they are 90% feathered and off heat, even this time of year. I have 50 out there right now that will be four weeks on Tuesday. The pads are on low and I'm weaning them off. They play in their brooder run during the day, even with temps in the 40s, and they can see the rest of the flick from the start.

Don't be in a hurry to take them off chick starter. They can stay on a chick starter/grower (unmedicated) until after they start laying. Just make sure they have oyster shell free choice once they get close to laying age (or when you find that first surprise egg next to the waterer). :) The extra protein in the chick starter is good for them. Once they start laying, you can switch them to a layer feed, but I feel like they need more protein than what is in layer feed, which is usually only 16%. I put mine in the coop immediately after they dry off and come out of the incubator. As long as they can get warm (I use a heating pad to brooder them) and they're protected from attacks by older chickens, they can go in the coop right from the incubator. Folks who brooder with a brooder lamp feel like the chicks should be feathered out before they go in the coop because putting a brooder lamp in the coop is very dangerous so they have to be old enough to not need supplemental heat, but if there are olders already in the coop, they'll still need an escape to be safe. "Feathered out" isn't on a definite timetable. It depends on if the breed is fast-feathering or slow-feathering, so anywhere between 8 and 12 weeks. Maybe earlier if they no longer need supplemental heat and you can get away with using a huddle box. Do you have olders already in the coop? Are you broodering with a heating pad or the dreaded brooder lamp? These are in the coop at a day old, getting checked out by an older. The orange electric cord is for the heating pad contained inside that colorful pillowcase in the background.
The oldest set I have is about 2 weeks old. Then I have a set of one week olds and three little bantams that are one week old. We have been brooding in our garage with heat lamps which they seem to be fine with. It's just bizarre bc I've been researching this since early last year and could've sworn we needed to wait longer. We don't even have the coop built yet and weren't rushing bc I thought we didn't need it until later. Guess that'll be my project this weekend now.

I bought this little coop on clearance yesterday to be a transition coop for some of my chicks. Today is 51 with a 6mph breeze. They will be four weeks on Tuesday and are loving life.

The oldest set I have is about 2 weeks old. Then I have a set of one week olds and three little bantams that are one week old. We have been brooding in our garage with heat lamps which they seem to be fine with. It's just bizarre bc I've been researching this since early last year and could've sworn we needed to wait longer. We don't even have the coop built yet and weren't rushing bc I thought we didn't need it until later. Guess that'll be my project this weekend now.

If you have one- and two-week-olds and you're using a lamp in the brooder, you have a little more time before they can go out permanently. It's really not a good idea -- in fact, it's dangerous -- to put a heating lamp in the coop. One of the many benefits of using a heating pad instead of the lamp is that the chicks can brooder right in the coop from day one. Go ahead and get started on the coop, but you won't need to finish it this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom