when to switch from starter feed?

A friend told me that it works, and he got the information from an older man we both know, but it does work, I have found this out myself, and it is definitely worth a shot at trying, I'm honestly not for sure what it triggers to cause them to lay, but they lay better and earlier

I also had a older feller here in town that has raised chickens for more than 50 years tell me to use red pepper flakes in their feed for the same reasons. This may be one of those things that "old timers" know about that works, but we have yet to figure out scientifically just HOW it works. :)

I also had a older feller here in town that has raised chickens for more than 50 years tell me to use red pepper flakes in their feed for the same reasons. This may be one of those things that "old timers" know about that works, but we have yet to figure out scientifically just HOW it works. :)
Or it's like a lot of other stuff that "old timers" say...like about turkeys looking up in the rain and drowning and such...who knows...I'm happy with any hen that lays 5 or 6 eggs a week and you aren't going to increase that.

Got my 7 chicks the first week in February. Bought a 50# bag of chick starter. Just finished it today so bought my 2nd 50 bag of feed today. My girls are about 9 weeks old so I got the starter/grower feed. Figured I will change to "layer feed" when this bag is finished. That should be perfect timing if it lasts as long as the first bag.

Since I will be trying to permanently transfer them to the coop this week, I also got some Sweet PDZ for the poop boards in the coop. Wanted to get a hanging water container, but the TSC was out. Only have a quart jar container and I have to add water every day.

TSC in Lenoir, NC still has some chicks. One was being doctored as it had been butt pecked (ouch!)
hit.gif

I also had a older feller here in town that has raised chickens for more than 50 years tell me to use red pepper flakes in their feed for the same reasons.  This may be one of those things that "old timers" know about that works, but we have yet to figure out scientifically just HOW it works.  :)

It's good to become friends with some of them, it does work though, I have seen the results, you can learn many things from your elders

Got my 7 chicks the first week in February. Bought a 50# bag of chick starter. Just finished it today so bought my 2nd 50 bag of feed today. My girls are about 9 weeks old so I got the starter/grower feed. Figured I will change to "layer feed" when this bag is finished. That should be perfect timing if it lasts as long as the first bag.

Since I will be trying to permanently transfer them to the coop this week, I also got some Sweet PDZ for the poop boards in the coop. Wanted to get a hanging water container, but the TSC was out. Only have a quart jar container and I have to add water every day.

TSC in Lenoir, NC still has some chicks. One was being doctored as it had been butt pecked (ouch!)
hit.gif
All the farm stores up my way in and around Western North Carolina have chicks...an abundance of chicks...Too many, and they are growing quick...the Southern States on River Road in Asheville seemed to be having quite a number of issues containing their quick growing shelf items..Lol. Flapping out of their bins, all mixed together, some were probably at least 2 weeks old or so...
Anyway, You can make all waterers and feeders you will need, there is a lot of info on here about it. I have a hanging waterer that is a 5 gallon bucket with 4 nipples in the bottom...
I also made my hanging feeder out of an empty laundry soap tub and the bottom of a hamper...And my nest boxes are made out of pots and pans boxes...Lol.
They aren't living the fancy life, but they don't seem to mind ductape.

I have 27 chicks that are about 10ish weeks old they are now on their first and hopefully final bag of grower feed. I hate having birds on different types of feed.

It's worth a shot though, and I like some of their tricks
This is sometimes true...but I know an older very experienced gentlemen that plants everything by the moon signs and all that jazz, anyway I gave him a few plants and told him to be careful and he killed them all...I outgrow him every year, and I don't use any of his "tricks"...so sometimes you have to take advice with a grain of salt...some older people are full of crap, just the same as some younger are. I like things that have a clear cut reason for helping or not...I feel that if pepper flakes helped increase production they would be a staple in all chicken feed...I also think that the commercial hatcheries would surely have cornered the market and bought up all the pepper flakes they can get their hands on...

This is sometimes true...but I know an older very experienced gentlemen that plants everything by the moon signs and all that jazz, anyway I gave him a few plants and told him to be careful and he killed them all...I outgrow him every year, and I don't use any of his "tricks"...so sometimes you have to take advice with a grain of salt...some older people are full of crap, just the same as some younger are. I like things that have a clear cut reason for helping or not...I feel that if pepper flakes helped increase production they would be a staple in all chicken feed...I also think that the commercial hatcheries would surely have cornered the market and bought up all the pepper flakes they can get their hands on...

I'll agree with you that some of them are full of crap, but if several people I have talked to agree that it works, I'll use it, regardless of whether the commercial hatcheries use it or not. In my opinion it is a wonderful idea and think it should be spread to people so it would be a more common practice, many commercial chicken businesses have many harsh conditions anyways

Back
Top Bottom