When will my hen start laying?

They lay when they get ready. My three breeds are a few days apart in age. The two Barred Rocks look older and ready but no signs yet. I'm getting two eggs a day now from the ISA browns. They did a submitting 'squat' a few days before giving the first egg. 21 weeks old for my first layer and the next girl gave me her second egg today at 23 weeks. I have a two buff orpington and another ISA holding still when I reach for them but not dropping down into a full squat. I think all 10 of mine will be laying by 30 weeks / the end of February .

From my experience, it varies from bird to bird. I have a Calico Princess that started laying at 17 weeks + 2 days (since she started to lay 2.5 weeks ago, today was the first day she didn't lay). One of my Barred Rocks started laying at 18 weeks + 5 days. I also have some that are 21 weeks and don't look anywhere close. My SLWyandotte's, Buff Orpington and Barred Rocks were all laying by 24/25 Weeks Old (I collected 5 eggs from my 6 layers today and typically get at least 4 eggs each day. Every once in a while I will get 2 eggs, but that's rare). All of my birds are let out of their hen houses at 7am and get locked up at dark around 5:30 and I don't use any supplemental lighting. I truly believe it varies bird to bird. Of course there are other factors involved, but the main difference looks to be individual, at least from what I understand from my 11 pullets (obviously I don't have a lot of experience, so I probably should have started with that tidbit of helpful information). A lady that works at my local market said that switching her pullets to a layer feed is what made them start laying, so answers vary about as much as the birds do :D Thank you for sharing pictures. You have some gorgeous girls!!! Your marans and barred rock are looking nice and "reddy" (ready), so fingers crossed ! I'm not familiar with the Ameraucana or polish. Is the gray bird with the black head your Ameraucana? That bird is stunning! I am in love! Is the red bird in the pictures your Orpington? I only ask because she looks darker than mine, but she's absolutely gorgeous too! I love your flock!

Also, I just wanted to share one more thing. Out of my 6 layers, only 1 of them consistently squats, and she was my first to lay. My Calico Princess that started laying 2.5 weeks ago, hasn't ever squatted for me. Maybe I just have wierd birds, (if they're anything like their keeper, oh my....... Hahaha!)

All 4 of my hens Plymouth Barred Rock, RIR, White Leghorn and my Speckled Sussex all starting laying at 4 months old I get 3 eggs a day except the Speckled Sussex she’s molting so no laying for 3 1/2 weeks from her but the other 3 still laying... Your hens are absolutely gorgeous...

Might want to confine them to the coop.
My 31wo pullets haven't laid yet, despite 14+ hours of supplemental lighting...
...tho one was in the nest this morning :fl and a couple few hens are laying again.
Thank you for the tip! I will confine them to the coop for a a few days and see what happens!
They lay when they get ready. My three breeds are a few days apart in age. The two Barred Rocks look older and ready but no signs yet. I'm getting two eggs a day now from the ISA browns. They did a submitting 'squat' a few days before giving the first egg. 21 weeks old for my first layer and the next girl gave me her second egg today at 23 weeks. I have a two buff orpington and another ISA holding still when I reach for them but not dropping down into a full squat. I think all 10 of mine will be laying by 30 weeks / the end of February .
That's interesting I haven't thought of doing that yet! I will reach for them tomorrow to see if they drop down! Thank you!
From my experience, it varies from bird to bird. I have a Calico Princess that started laying at 17 weeks + 2 days (since she started to lay 2.5 weeks ago, today was the first day she didn't lay). One of my Barred Rocks started laying at 18 weeks + 5 days. I also have some that are 21 weeks and don't look anywhere close. My SLWyandotte's, Buff Orpington and Barred Rocks were all laying by 24/25 Weeks Old (I collected 5 eggs from my 6 layers today and typically get at least 4 eggs each day. Every once in a while I will get 2 eggs, but that's rare). All of my birds are let out of their hen houses at 7am and get locked up at dark around 5:30 and I don't use any supplemental lighting. I truly believe it varies bird to bird. Of course there are other factors involved, but the main difference looks to be individual, at least from what I understand from my 11 pullets (obviously I don't have a lot of experience, so I probably should have started with that tidbit of helpful information). A lady that works at my local market said that switching her pullets to a layer feed is what made them start laying, so answers vary about as much as the birds do :D Thank you for sharing pictures. You have some gorgeous girls!!! Your marans and barred rock are looking nice and "reddy" (ready), so fingers crossed ! I'm not familiar with the Ameraucana or polish. Is the gray bird with the black head your Ameraucana? That bird is stunning! I am in love! Is the red bird in the pictures your Orpington? I only ask because she looks darker than mine, but she's absolutely gorgeous too! I love your flock!
Thank you so much for you answer! I also feel like it depends on the birds. Maybe my hens are just late bloomers. They have been spending a lot of time exploring and laying in the nest box today so maybe they are sending me a message Thank you so much, the gray one is indeed an Ameraucana and she is quite the cutie! I have a lavender orpington(2 years old hen who lays on and off because she wants to be a momma so she gets broody all the time:idunno) and a black orpington. The red bird is my wheaten Maran (I forgot to put her on the list) and the black one with cooper feathers on her neck is my black cooper maran! i will add some close up photos of them bellow. Thanks again!:)

Attachments

• IMG_20200105_142130.jpg
    IMG_20200105_142130.jpg
    715.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200105_141822.jpg
    IMG_20200105_141822.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200105_141605.jpg
    IMG_20200105_141605.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200105_141136.jpg
    IMG_20200105_141136.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200105_141513.jpg
    IMG_20200105_141513.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200105_141422.jpg
    IMG_20200105_141422.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200105_141755.jpg
    IMG_20200105_141755.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 14
Thank you for the tip! I will confine them to the coop for a a few days and see what happens!

That's interesting I haven't thought of doing that yet! I will reach for them tomorrow to see if they drop down! Thank you!

Thank you so much for you answer! I also feel like it depends on the birds. Maybe my hens are just late bloomers. They have been spending a lot of time exploring and laying in the nest box today so maybe they are sending me a message Thank you so much, the gray one is indeed an Ameraucana and she is quite the cutie! I have a lavender orpington(2 years old hen who lays on and off because she wants to be a momma so she gets broody all the time:idunno) and a black orpington. The red bird is my wheaten Maran (I forgot to put her on the list) and the black one with cooper feathers on her neck is my black cooper maran! i will add some close up photos of them bellow. Thanks again!:)
Beautiful hens!

All 4 of my hens Plymouth Barred Rock, RIR, White Leghorn and my Speckled Sussex all starting laying at 4 months old I get 3 eggs a day except the Speckled Sussex she’s molting so no laying for 3 1/2 weeks from her but the other 3 still laying... Your hens are absolutely gorgeous...
Four months old wow:clap! Lucky you! What is your secret?

Thank you so much!

You really have lovely birds! I am in love. Thank you for sharing more pictures. One of my favorite things to do is admire and learn about chickens (and ducks, and geese, and etc. etc, etc) I'm excited for you to find some eggs in the very near future :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom