When you buy new chicks, do you claim the "not gonna make it past day 1 chicks?"

plantguy90

Songster
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Moorpark, CA
Hi,

Just got my 2013 shipment from a (new to us) hatchery, and had one DOA. But after a hour or so noticed one is probably not going to make it, tried to give her sugar water, but she is weak, not eating, barely has her eyes open, and the other chicks are stepping all over her.

Once in a while you get these, right? But if its a chick you KNOW is not going to make it past the first night, do you claim those as well? Just curious.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just got my 2013 shipment from a (new to us) hatchery, and had one DOA. But after a hour or so noticed one is probably not going to make it, tried to give her sugar water, but she is weak, not eating, barely has her eyes open, and the other chicks are stepping all over her.

Once in a while you get these, right? But if its a chick you KNOW is not going to make it past the first night, do you claim those as well? Just curious.

If it were me I would just tell the hatchery that there was one DOA and one that is on death's door..

in my experience they will credit you for both (not sure which hatchery you used).. but if they know you have a fading chick then another one starts to go downhill in a day or two they will have a record of weak chicks in your order and will usually credit you for any that die within the next few days.

edited to add:

Most hatcheries have a "48 hour guarantee"... so you may need to check and see what the one you are dealing with offers

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, I gave her a brown sugar + water solution with a dropper, and I thought she perked up, but only for a few minutes... its really a wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom