When you get "that" wake up call....

GeauxLSU

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Atlanta burbs
OK, we are BRAND new to chickens. Plus we are having to have them in our neighborhood as 'inconspicuously' as possible....
We only got 3 to keep it manageable but wanted a little variety in color, so, in July we got a Black Copper Maran, an EE (blue layer) and an Olive egger. Well, the OE started crowing this morning.
roll.png
That one was officially my wife's and she doesn't know yet so she won't be happy as though these are primarily for egg laying, raising them from chicks, they certainly have acquired a pet factor.
In any case, the little hobby breeder guarantees them and will take the roo but now cold is setting in (20's the next coulple of nights for example) and my options are: 1) A new chick, which for us would require brooding a single loan chick in the house until it's ready to be put outside with the other 2. I'm worried about how that eventual introduction would go and the hassle of having to deal with a brooder inside again for an extended period especially during the holidays.
2) She has another EE that is a pink layer (supposedly just over a year old) that is 'coming out of molt' and is apparently OK to be outside
3) Wait until spring to add a new addition (chick or older).

What say ye?

Difficult decision. Any of the choices will require introducing a new chicken, so be sure to look at learning center article or post second thread for advice on that.

But getting rid of a rooster is a problem for many. If I had to live with the decision, I would trade the roo for the EE and introduce her to your others. 3 will be happier than 2. 1 roo + 2 girls is not a good idea regardless of other issues. Raising a lonely baby would also not be a great idea.

So trading the roo now solves a lot of problems.

I would say #2 option what I do for introductions is to do it at night that way they wake up and bam new chicken on the roost. Also keep in mind quarantine time is roughly 30 days to avoid any passing of disease.

With your flock being so small, and I'm assuming the new girl would come from the same flock as your previous chickens, I might even risk contamination. Keeping them separated is quite a hassle, and if she brings in something, it's not that big of a project to start fresh. Just something to consider, and I'm sure many will disagree with my train of thought.

Difficult decision. Any of the choices will require introducing a new chicken, so be sure to look at learning center article or post second thread for advice on that.

But getting rid of a rooster is a problem for many. If I had to live with the decision, I would trade the roo for the EE and introduce her to your others. 3 will be happier than 2. 1 roo + 2 girls is not a good idea regardless of other issues. Raising a lonely baby would also not be a great idea.

So trading the roo now solves a lot of problems.

With your flock being so small, and I'm assuming the new girl would come from the same flock as your previous chickens, I might even risk contamination. Keeping them separated is quite a hassle, and if she brings in something, it's not that big of a project to start fresh. Just something to consider, and I'm sure many will disagree with my train of thought.

In agreement with both!

Well we went with option 2. Some fussing and skittishness by the new addition but I believe everything will be well soon enough (fingers crossed).
Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom