When's the right time

FenwayFieldFarm

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2016
Loudoun County, VA
Hello,

I recently built a good size brooder (in one of my barn stalls) and completed two 12x10 pasture pens a few weeks ago. My plan is to raise some Cornish Cross this spring. My question: when is the right time in Spring to receive the chicks from the hatchery? I live in northern Virginia where March's average high temp is 60 degrees and average low is 39 degrees. April's is 70 for the average high and 50 for the low. My understanding, the chicks will be in the brooder for 3-4 weeks, then to the pasture pens. Since this is my first time raising meat birds, I want to get started as soon as possible this Spring, but also don't want to get the chicks too early and have issues with cold weather. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am not sure when to get the chicks
But wow that is a good brooder.
The best one I have ever seen.
Well done! :thumbsup
Goodluck
Fionn.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I'd get them mid-March. They'll be in the brooder a few weeks, then out on pasture. That will put you butchering mid May, a decent time to butcher. Not too hot and not too many flies....yet.

Thank you ChickenGrass. When I bought the farm a few months ago, there was a bunch of fence boards, plywood, etc left there. The only thing I bought to build the brooder was the flooring. I found a similar design through a Google search (might have been from BYC). I just made a few modifications. Thanks again for the comment.

Back
Top Bottom