Where Can I Find Guinea Eggs?

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
Our guinea hens are starting to lay now, and I would really like to get their eggs and incubate them. Where and how can I find them? Is there a way I can get them to lay in a nest box? If not, where do they usually nest? Thank you!

Our guinea hens are starting to lay now, and I would really like to get their eggs and incubate them. Where and how can I find them? Is there a way I can get them to lay in a nest box? If not, where do they usually nest? Thank you!
If you see a cock standing erect in one spot and looking around, he may be standing guard over the hen as she lays an egg in her hidden nest.

Some people keep their hens shut in the coop until after they lay their egg for the day. It works fine if your guineas lay early during the day but not so well if they are late afternoon layers.

Some people use bales of hay or straw to make a cave like spot in the coop at ground level.

At least one member used a wheelbarrow in the coop as a nesting site for her guineas.

If you find their hidden nest or manage to get them to lay in the coop, taking all the eggs whenever you find them will cause the hens to abandon the nest very quickly.

Putting fake eggs in the nest can help keep them using the same nest. It also helps if they do not see you messing with the nest.

I only take eggs from my hen's hidden nests after I have put them in the coop for the night. I try to leave 3 fake eggs in a nest when I take the real eggs.

If I keep them penned til noon, will they end up leaving after I let them out? Could making them stay in after they've experienced freedom make them not come back?

If I keep them penned til noon, will they end up leaving after I let them out? Could making them stay in after they've experienced freedom make them not come back?
Mine have tolerated a lot of interference from me. I’m currently trying to convince them to make coop nests as they get into so much trouble looking for their perfect nesting site. So I lock them in until 4:30 ad they get 3 hours until dark. They still coop up, with some trying to roost on the roof so I have to shoosh them off at dusk so they will go inside. Once they’ve committed to coop nests and finished pairing up, I’ll give them more time outside. I do try to leave the coop nests alone while they are present, but when a hen goes broody, I have to chase her off every day to collect the new eggs. The hens still come back to that nest when I finish.

Update
I found a guinea nest!!!
Now, how do I collect the eggs without them knowing I was there. I know guineas will abandon their nests, when they know it's been discovered. How many eggs should I leave so they don't know I was there? There are currently 9 eggs in the nest.
IMG_20230402_170546_tmp.jpg

Update
I found a guinea nest!!!
Now, how do I collect the eggs without them knowing I was there. I know guineas will abandon their nests, when they know it's been discovered. How many eggs should I leave so they don't know I was there? There are currently 9 eggs in the nest.
View attachment 3453220
In a big nest, I would leave at least 4 fake eggs or date that many and leave them. Only mess with the nest when they can't see you doing it.

In a big nest, I would leave at least 4 fake eggs or date that many and leave them. Only mess with the nest when they can't see you doing it.
Okay, I know this is a silly question, but I am completely new to guinea raising. Obviously, they can't count, but would they somehow know a difference because there are 4 when there was 9-10 eggs there?

Okay, I know this is a silly question, but I am completely new to guinea raising. Obviously, they can't count, but would they somehow know a difference because there are 4 when there was 9-10 eggs there?
They definitely know a difference when it goes from 15 eggs down to 2. If I leave 4 fake eggs in a nest, they stick with the nest a lot longer than if I leave one or 2 fake eggs.

If you are concerned, reduce the number of eggs in the nest by one or two a day so it won't be such a drastic change.

Back
Top Bottom