Where can I find showgirls?

Mizzy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Ooltewah
I was wondering where can I find showgirls at? I've not seen any at the online hatchery. I was hoping to find local (around Hamilton county or northern GA) Does anyone know of any breeders around that may have what I am looking for. I know a lady in Delano that sells Turken and silkies, but I really don't think I'm experienced enough to try and 'make my own' Showgirls lol!

I've tried posting in Craigslist, but most of the people selling chickens on there have mixed breeds and not the fancy looking birds. I don't know where else to look online for the area I am in, but I know someone out here has to breed the not so common looking birds. Any help would be appreciated
smile.png

I breed White and Lavender Showgirls, but mine are not laying right now. My white is broody and my Lavenders are not laying age yet.

But, I'm in Oklahoma. But, you do not want to breed SGxSG, you want to breed SGxSilkie. You will get much better feathering on the offspring.

34583_vanda_enjoying_the_shade.jpg

34583_birds_006.jpg

34583_birds_009.jpg

34583_sg_pullet.jpg

Those are some really beautiful birds. I was doing some reading on other threads about not breeding two showgirls together. I'm really tempted to try it as a project (hey I'm a SAHM anyway lol). I may do some reading up on the forums as far as breeding, raising chicks, etc and see where it takes me.

I really really enjoy having my chickens and this may be a nice hobby for me.

I can tell you that breeding SGxSG they just keep getting less and less feathering. Keep getting balder I guess
big_smile.png

I would recommend getting showgirl hens and a getting a silkie for the roo, but it's whatever you prefer. You will get much better birds breeding this way.

I would think that they would be less attractive without as much feathering, but that's JMO
wink.png

Ok, thank you for the advice. I was wondering what I would get as far as the roo and the hen. Ya, I meant breeding to get showgirls in general not doing SGxSG lol... I don't want a baldy chicken project :p haha! Poor things
smile.png

I would imagine you could use a Turken Roo over a Silkie hen to start a project if that is what your intentions are. You would get 50% Naked Necks. It will be a long project, but might be fun.

Back
Top Bottom