Where can i order show quality chicks?

As a 4-H club leader, I can tell you those shows are at least as challenging as others. (You also should be in 4-H if you will be participating in those shows.) It’s a great way to learn, but I think you’re coming at it wrong…you don’t just buy a couple chicks and expect them to be show quality. That’s all I’m saying.
Agreed. At least at my fair (my poultry chair had connections, let me tell ya 🤣😅) we often had APA judges, and if they couldn't make it, usually a serious breeder as a judge, who even if they didn't breed most of the breeds there, still knew what to look for in general terms when it came to patterns and general body quality.

Yes, less quality birds took home ribbons, because they were the best of what was avaliable at the fair. Those same birds wouldn't have stood a chance most times at a real show and the judge knew it.

I showed for 9 years in 4H and of all those years, had 3 birds i can think of that the judge flat out told me were very nice birds, and I was a frequent Placer because I knew I could only bring the best. I couldn't bring the one that looked like a raggedy Ann doll even if she was the tamest little bird on the planet, because she wouldn't do well in the show

As a 4-H club leader, I can tell you those shows are at least as challenging as others. (You also should be in 4-H if you will be participating in those shows.) It’s a great way to learn, but I think you’re coming at it wrong…you don’t just buy a couple chicks and expect them to be show quality. That’s all I’m saying.
I am in 4h and am going to join the poultry club when they start up in September. I am nit saying I am going to go to a show and expect to win I just want to try it and if it's not for me then oh well and if it is I can get better birds and more educated on it

I am in 4h and am going to join the poultry club when they start up in September. I am nit saying I am going to go to a show and expect to win I just want to try it and if it's not for me then oh well and if it is I can get better birds and more educated on it
I would start out with a cheaper bird for your first one incase you don't like doing it and then if you think it's pretty fun start getting some better ones but you have to find a breeder or go to a swap if you want a good bird. You can show stuff from a hatchery but it's going to be lower quality and a bonus when going to meets or breeders you can see the birds grown up and if you get one that does pretty good but it definitely wasn't the best one they had for sale go back and get a better one from them or if you could find multiple breeder with the same breed that had good birds get a hen and rooster and you could breed them

I would start out with a cheaper bird for your first one incase you don't like doing it and then if you think it's pretty fun start getting some better ones but you have to find a breeder or go to a swap if you want a good bird. You can show stuff from a hatchery but it's going to be lower quality and a bonus when going to meets or breeders you can see the birds grown up and if you get one that does pretty good but it definitely wasn't the best one they had for sale go back and get a better one from them or if you could find multiple breeder with the same breed that had good birds get a hen and rooster and you could breed them
Thanks this is a good plan for me. As I keep trying to tell everyone I'm not one of those people who jumps into things and jumps from here to there, to here to there and doesn't know what they're doing, I do a lot of research on stuff before I decide to try it and figure the only way to actually know if I really want to do it is to try it. When I started showing my horse I showed her in a small show that wasn't a big deal and it was an open breed show so not breed specific, she only placed like six or seventh place but it was fun and I enjoyed it so I go back every month. Now i know if I take her to an AQHA show I know that she is not going to be a first place Blue Ribbon but as long as I'm having fun and even if it's 6th or 7th place I'm still happy with it. I'm not saying I want to do this for a living it just seems like a fun hobby to do every once in awhile and the frequency of the shows I would be going to would be like at the most once a month so it's not like I'm going to be going every weekend to a show. I know horse shows and poultry shows are different but I am using it as a example. I know showing is serious for alot of people and that it may seem disrespectful to say "hobby" or "something fun to do" but I don't mean it disrespectfully at all

Back
Top Bottom