Where can i order show quality chicks?

I would highly suggest doing A LOT more research on what show quality is and the work it takes to get there. You don’t just buy a baby animal and expect that you can show it successfully. It’s like having a child and expecting she will grow up to be a runway model. People put tons of work and money and time into show birds and typically, they cull hard. You need to know your breed inside and out. Judges expect this from you.
I was planning on just getting the chicks in like April (9 months away) and by the time I show them as adults.....I have months to research and learn even before I get chicks. Again I'll restate this: I am talking small town or 4-h shows! I know my stuff, maybe not all I should know about breeds or showing but wisdom comes with time and experience. When I started showing horses I didn't know it all and barely placed but I learned and know more know.

I am talking small town or 4-h shows! I know my stuff, maybe not all I should know about breeds or showing but wisdom comes with time and experience. When I started showing horses I didn't know it all and barely placed but I learned and know more know.

You could go to some of those shows, look at the chickens, and chat with the other owners there. Being able to see the chickens in person and talk directly with the people will probably be a big help.

You can also ask those people for recommendations about getting good quality chicks-- they may have some for sale, or they may know someone who does. Or they might be willing to sell eggs that you can hatch for yourself (shipped eggs tend not to hatch well, but buying eggs from someone local means you can transport them yourself, carefully, instead of bouncing them around for several days in all kinds of weather.)

You could go to some of those shows, look at the chickens, and chat with the other owners there. Being able to see the chickens in person and talk directly with the people will probably be a big help.

You can also ask those people for recommendations about getting good quality chicks-- they may have some for sale, or they may know someone who does. Or they might be willing to sell eggs that you can hatch for yourself (shipped eggs tend not to hatch well, but buying eggs from someone local means you can transport them yourself, carefully, instead of bouncing them around for several days in all kinds of weather.)
Thanks I probably will go to a show before jumping in,

I was planning on just getting the chicks in like April (9 months away) and by the time I show them as adults.....I have months to research and learn even before I get chicks. Again I'll restate this: I am talking small town or 4-h shows! I know my stuff, maybe not all I should know about breeds or showing but wisdom comes with time and experience. When I started showing horses I didn't know it all and barely placed but I learned and know more know.
As a 4-H club leader, I can tell you those shows are at least as challenging as others. (You also should be in 4-H if you will be participating in those shows.) It’s a great way to learn, but I think you’re coming at it wrong…you don’t just buy a couple chicks and expect them to be show quality. That’s all I’m saying.

Back
Top Bottom