Where can you get good latches?

This hook eye latch is what i use exclusively on all 3 of my koops
Along with spring loaded hinges

I second the hook-and-eye latch idea, and I'll add this wrinkle: use two! Put one at the height you'd normally use, and another one closer to ground level. This gives two advantages:

1. A latch near raccoon height prevents them from prying enough of a gap to squeeze through, while one at ordinary human height sometimes does, especially if the door is lightweight and flexible, or just doesn't fit very well (and over time, all coop doors fit less well than they used to).
  2. Two latches are better than one. In windstorms, gusts tend to wrench my coop doors off their hinges (my coops are mostly on an open pasture)

I like the spring hinges, too! I sometimes use old-fashioned screen doors springs, which work fine, but having springs in the hinges seems simpler and more elegant. I'll have to check it out. I like having spring-loaded "people doors" on coops because I so often enter them with both hands full -- hard to close the door behind me.

Robert

I use hasp locks too. Hook and eye latches can be knocked open much more easily than a lock that has a carabiner. You can get them at a lot of places - Home Depot, Lowes, Tractor Supply or similar, or even Walmart.They are usually about $3-6 a latch depending on the size and design.

Yes, but if you look CLOSELY, you'll see the "bail clip" lock of this hook latch. Aint no coon opening this latch if set up correctly. Ace hardware is where i bought the items i use

I second the hook-and-eye latch idea, and I'll add this wrinkle: use two! Put one at the height you'd normally use, and another one closer to ground level. This gives two advantages:

1. A latch near raccoon height prevents them from prying enough of a gap to squeeze through, while one at ordinary human height sometimes does, especially if the door is lightweight and flexible, or just doesn't fit very well (and over time, all coop doors fit less well than they used to).
  2. Two latches are better than one. In windstorms, gusts tend to wrench my coop doors off their hinges (my coops are mostly on an open pasture)

I like the spring hinges, too! I sometimes use old-fashioned screen doors springs, which work fine, but having springs in the hinges seems simpler and more elegant. I'll have to check it out. I like having spring-loaded "people doors" on coops because I so often enter them with both hands full -- hard to close the door behind me.

Robert
ny
The hook latch at "coon" level is a slendid addition to any koop door Robert! Good thinking
1f44d.png

I am going to put a storm door on my chicken coop. Its going to have one of those latches that you have to push the door knob to open the door.

Do you think I would still need a lock for the outside?

Thanks

My coop doors are solid exterior doors from the Habitat Restore, very cheap! The screen/ storm door on my house could be moved by a determined raccoon. Maybe I don't know what kind of door you mean? Mary

I am going to put a storm door on my chicken coop.  Its going to have one of those latches that you have to push the door knob to open the door.

Do you think I would still need a lock for the outside?

Thanks

Like this? I think a determined raccoon would be able to figure it out. They're surprisingly clever, destructive buggers.

Back
Top Bottom