Where feeder should be - pros and cons

Pics

Devorah

Songster
Feb 28, 2022
Leyden, Massachusetts
Hi everyone! I have read many posts about feeders as I embark on my chick journey (still waiting for their arrival this month!). Planning the coop and run phase of their lives, I am interested in what folks have to say about where the feeder should be — inside the coop or in the run.

While the consensus seems to be in the run (many saying never put food in the coop), I’m curious as to why since — to me — keeping food in the run would seem to attract predators. Thoughts?

This leads me to my second question: if the feeder is best kept in the run, which type of feeder is best to protect against the invasion of little critters? I have read that the feeders that have deep openings prevent feed waste. But can’t rodents jump inside and feast away?

Thank you so much for your feedback - it’s greatly appreciated!

We keep our feeders in the run. The only time I have put a feeder in the coop is during weather so severe that the chickens don't leave the coop. Our run is predator proof, so we don't worry about them. To keep mice out of the food, we remove our feeders at night and store them in a large sealed plastic tote on the back porch. So far, the mice haven't found a way in the tote🤞

With the feeders, it needs to be somewhere where the weather won't get to it. If it's out in the open and it rains, you have wasted feed. I use 5 gallon buckets with these things attached.

71wxnnO4iiL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I keep them in the covered part of my run.

We keep our feeders in the run. The only time I have put a feeder in the coop is during weather so severe that the chickens don't leave the coop. Our run is predator proof, so we don't worry about them. To keep mice out of the food, we remove our feeders at night and store them in a large sealed plastic tote on the back porch. So far, the mice haven't found a way in the tote🤞
Ahhh and that begs the following question: what if you have an automatic coop door? If the feeders are not in the run in the morning, how will the chickens eat? Or will you just have to get up to return the feeders to the run, thereby negating the convenience of having an automatic door? 🤣🤣🤣

With the feeders, it needs to be somewhere where the weather won't get to it. If it's out in the open and it rains, you have wasted feed. I use 5 gallon buckets with these things attached.

View attachment 3056039

I keep them in the covered part of my run.
Thanks - yes - I love this kind of feeder. But can’t small critters crawl in there and go nuts? That’s my dilemma (I have a run protected from the elements).

I have 3 feeders and 3 waterers in my run, they are like the one @SilverBirds posted, they are off the ground, my run is not covered and I have never had issues with weather or critters getting into them. You could always get a treadle feeder, but I've heard of rodents getting in those too.. I also have an auto door which has been a blessing 😉 The only things in my coop are 2 containers with oyster/egg shell and grit. Ultimately it's up to you and your specific situation 😁

Attachments

• 20220323_184648.jpg
    20220323_184648.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20220326_165812.jpg
    20220326_165812.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220401_164550.jpg
    20220401_164550.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 25
Do you have an idea of what you want for waterers?
In the brooder I’ll m be starting my chicks off on the vertical nipples and will then transition them to the horizontal ones. Later in the coop, I’ll use the horizontal nipples in raised buckets. During the winter, I will use a heater so the water doesn’t freeze.

Back
Top Bottom