Where feeder should be - pros and cons

I was told to keep the coop door open and yep- the girls like to go in at dusk and sit on the roost or in the doorway of the coop and look out. The coop and run are enclosed with the 1/2” steel mesh but I need to lay out a 24” skirt around the outside perimeter so things don’t burrow into the enclosed area.
I am also rural so getting someone to check the water once during the day is doable vs dawn and dusk. Don’t know if this approach will inhibit egg laying??

Weather permitting water is in the run. I do have to move the water into the coop once winter arrives here.
I keep their food in the coop.
My reasoning is out of sight out of mind This way there is no food to attract and tempt rodents and other critters to try and get into the run.

Hi everyone! I have read many posts about feeders as I embark on my chick journey (still waiting for their arrival this month!). Planning the coop and run phase of their lives, I am interested in what folks have to say about where the feeder should be — inside the coop or in the run.

While the consensus seems to be in the run (many saying never put food in the coop), I’m curious as to why since — to me — keeping food in the run would seem to attract predators. Thoughts?

This leads me to my second question: if the feeder is best kept in the run, which type of feeder is best to protect against the invasion of little critters? I have read that the feeders that have deep openings prevent feed waste. But can’t rodents jump inside and feast away?

Thank you so much for your feedback - it’s greatly appreciated!
Mine feeders are in both I have one large feeder hanging in coop perfect height so it doesn’t spill much and a waterer on a shelf. I have no issues with mice going in my coop its pretty ceiled up my hardwire cloth covers every. I do this so when the hens are up early I dont have to rush to let them out. I also put feeders out in the run for the girls and bring those in at night.

Hi everyone! I have read many posts about feeders as I embark on my chick journey (still waiting for their arrival this month!). Planning the coop and run phase of their lives, I am interested in what folks have to say about where the feeder should be — inside the coop or in the run.

While the consensus seems to be in the run (many saying never put food in the coop), I’m curious as to why since — to me — keeping food in the run would seem to attract predators. Thoughts?

This leads me to my second question: if the feeder is best kept in the run, which type of feeder is best to protect against the invasion of little critters? I have read that the feeders that have deep openings prevent feed waste. But can’t rodents jump inside and feast away?

Thank you so much for your feedback - it’s greatly appreciated!
I have a grandpas feeder, it is a treadle type and I leave it in the run 24/7. I think if you have open food in your run, you will have to bring the food in and out of the run every day or you will get rodents. Even with the treadle feeder, you may catch a mouse here and there. I have a few traps out and rodents are no longer an issue for me.

Depending on the size of your coop (I have a small omelet) your girls will probably never be in there during the day. They will be out and about until it's time for bed, then they will go into the coop. Even when the weather is bad, they will go under the coop. On one particularly cold day, they did stay in the coop but that was it.

I don’t have any food/water in the coop. The only thing my girls do in there is sleep, and go in to access their nesting boxes. My food is in a feeder that sits on the ground on short legs. I don’t notice any spillage on the ground but if there was any the hens would eat it. I have never seen a mouse in my run…my run is covered…it’s actually a dog kennel that I have wrapped further with hardware cloth around the lower several feet and on the ground. I have never seen evidence of anything trying to dig in. So, in short, there is no problem with food, water, oyster shell being in the run. I have an automatic coop door (love love love it) and read that chickens need to be able to eat and drink within an hour of waking (which I believe they do at dawn). So, as I am not an early riser, having everything in the run is a no brained for me :)

I have a grandpas feeder, it is a treadle type and I leave it in the run 24/7. I think if you have open food in your run, you will have to bring the food in and out of the run every day or you will get rodents. Even with the treadle feeder, you may catch a mouse here and there. I have a few traps out and rodents are no longer an issue for me.

Depending on the size of your coop (I have a small omelet) your girls will probably never be in there during the day. They will be out and about until it's time for bed, then they will go into the coop. Even when the weather is bad, they will go under the coop. On one particularly cold day, they did stay in the coop but that was it.
Thanks. On the fence re the treadle, but also unsure about the feeders with the inner spouts. Not interested in open feeders because I don’t want to have to take them in every night … I appreciate your input!

I don’t have any food/water in the coop. The only thing my girls do in there is sleep, and go in to access their nesting boxes. My food is in a feeder that sits on the ground on short legs. I don’t notice any spillage on the ground but if there was any the hens would eat it. I have never seen a mouse in my run…my run is covered…it’s actually a dog kennel that I have wrapped further with hardware cloth around the lower several feet and on the ground. I have never seen evidence of anything trying to dig in. So, in short, there is no problem with food, water, oyster shell being in the run. I have an automatic coop door (love love love it) and read that chickens need to be able to eat and drink within an hour of waking (which I believe they do at dawn). So, as I am not an early riser, having everything in the run is a no brained for me :)
Thank you! What kind of automatic coop door do you have?

We keep our feeders in the run. The only time I have put a feeder in the coop is during weather so severe that the chickens don't leave the coop. Our run is predator proof, so we don't worry about them. To keep mice out of the food, we remove our feeders at night and store them in a large sealed plastic tote on the back porch. So far, the mice haven't found a way in the tote🤞
At this point, renting chickens and coop, the coop and run are all in one. We remove the food at night also, and have it stored in bags in a galvanized can. Rats, (don't have any, thank God!) can chew threw plastic. And Mr. Racoon can pick locks so, we have the lid secured by bungy cord looped thru the top of the can and the handles. By Fall rental contract will be over, and we can decide to return, keep/add to the ones we have. We already love them gals. they're keepers.

Back
Top Bottom