Where is the best place to buy my first chicks?

Hello hello!

Showing my birds??
lau.gif
I wouldn't know the first thing about it! lol I'm only interested in being a chicken momma! I've decided to definitely go with the Marek's vaccine.. regardless of where I order from. I'm like you.. I'd rather be safe than sorry. The only problem I am running into is many of the more popular hatcheries are selling out... FAST. I won't be ordering till the first of next week at the very soonest. I figure that gives me the rest of the weekend to get my order figured out. I am also considering ordering from more than one place, if I can get certain breeds that way.

So, if you order 10 pullets and get X number of cockerels, do they make that right, or are you just out of luck?

The hatchery should have an explanation of what guarantees it offers; some will cover some of the cost difference between pullets and cockrels, and all talk about the % accuracy of the chick sexing. I tend to order straight run, and sell, keep, or freeze the extra cockrels. I also live in the boonies, where roosters are allowed, and they are a great addition to the flock. I just placed my Cackle order a few days ago, and couldn't get one breed on my list for April. It's a common problem unless orders are placed in fall, never mind. Mary

So, if you order 10 pullets and get X number of cockerels, do they make that right, or are you just out of luck? 

It varies by hatchery but most will give you store credit either the difference in price between pullet and roo, or a full store credit for that chick, some will actually refund you the money so read their policy or ask them... Pay attention their guarantee as well, if they guarantee 90% accuracy remember that is one in 10 chickens you won't get credit for if they make a mistake...

Myers replaces any chicks that die within a certain timeframe. There sexing Accuracy is equal or higher than other hatchery's. They have always answered any email questions I've asked in a timely manner so if you have questions call or talk through email. They are extremely nice and customer service is excellent. pictures of the birds they show are noted that they are Actually their stock unlike other hatcheries with drawings of birds. I also really love that they do ship express and with a long lasting 72 hour heat pack. other hatcheries shipping might be less but they ship without heat packs. My Pet Chicken gets their birds from Meyers as well. I think you will be pleased at all the breeds that are offered. if you order soon you still have a chance for females. at least take a look and see. it's usually best to pre order to ensure availability.

Last edited:
Hello there!

I am new to the game to and ran into the exact same issue.....nobody seemed to have a variety of chicks. After reading the replies I now know why. However, I was able to get almost every breed I wanted and ordered 27 chicks through Valley Hatchery. I was so excited because I went through the tedious process of looking at 4-5 different hatcheries and they would all have a few of the breeds I wanted but not all. I was able to get Barred Rocks, Gold Laced Wyandottes, Black/Copper Marans, Buff Orpingtons, Black Austrlorps, Easter Eggers, Speckled Sussex, RI Reds and Barnevelders. Hope to have them in a couple of days.

I have become obsessed with this now, am attending Chickens Anonymous, and have had to get therapy in order to stop ordering new breeds! What have I gotten myself into!

Thank you all so much! After doing a bit more intensive investigating on some sites, I have found some of the guarantees... I can't remember who had what at this point.. it's late and I'm tired....

Also, as for breeds... do the chickens care? Since I want a mixed variety, for example, if I buy 2 Speckled Sussex and 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks.. and one of each dies for whatever reason... will they care? Or are chickens chickens to them? (sorry if this is a dumb question) I just thought I'd check. I'm considering only 2 of certain varieties I like, but if one would die, will it be ok with the rest of the flock? Thanks!

They usually are a ittle flock family breeds don't come too much into play un less you have a aggressive breed and a docile breed. I know barred Rocks are considered docile because I researched the breed and have 7 on order. not sure about the other breed. no matter the breed the "flock family" will have a pecking order. ( lead boss hen down to the lowest in there order) if one passes the order rearranges. They begin establishing the order as chicks. sometimes it appears the chicks will peck and fight a bit ( mildly) while establishing there order. it's natural. so unless they are bantams ( small breed of birds) and if the breeds have basically the same temperament the breeds won't matter. when it would matter is say you have a very aggressive bird by breed and mix with a very small docile natured bird then likely the little one could get hurt. But close natured birds should mix fine. Hope this helps. best wishes and post pictures when you get your chicks! I can't wait to see them! :)

Not a dumb question! I'm pretty sure every person on this board had similar questions with their first chicks!

Chickens are chickens to each other. My flock started as a "one of everything" and has turned into just my favorite breeds over the years. They won't pair up based on their breed. That being said, if you get a silkie, for example, with larger chickens, they're more likely to be picked on because of size. Also, if you get a polish, those feathers can be temptation to non crested chickens to be picked at. But past that, chickens will establish their pecking order despite all of these things, and it may have nothing to do with fancy feathers or size.... (My little blue araucana will show my big girls what is what, regularly!)

It's true you want to experiment with breeds. Research traits that are important to you. I thought it was most important that my chickens laid a ton of eggs, and went with those breeds. Now I care far more about the palate of colors of the eggs than how many they lay, something I wouldn't have thought mattered when I bought my initial flock.

No matter what, you'll love what you have, I guarantee it! Things will come up and you'll feel helpless, then you'll remember you have thousands and thousands of people here eager to help and ease your mind. You won't regret it! :)

realsis and Clearly

Thank you both so very much!!! I'm getting so excited!!! I haven't ordered yet though. I have to wait till the first week of March. I'm praying I'm not biting off more than I can chew. I haven't gotten the perfect coop design down yet... If I start next week, and order next week, we'll have a month to get things in order. I have NO idea how much it's going to cost to do the coop yet. My boyfriend does have a lot of wood here... that we can use... but I know we'll have to buy a good bit as well.. not to mention hardware cloth... and Idk what I'll do about windows... I want windows that I can open. Eesh... soooo much.
barnie.gif

Have fun and enjoy! you will just fall in love with your new "babies"♡♡ I know how it feels to have to wait! I ordered toward the end of January and mine hatch/ship April 11th!! :)

Back
Top Bottom