Where to buy day old laying hens

I am also also in NW Missouri. We have used Cackle Hatchery in the past due to them being in our state. We have had them shipped and have driven to Lebanon to pick them up. It's a nice day trip with good scenery! Some MFA stores host Cackle Hatchery "chick days." Cackle employees actually set up for the day at the MFA and stay there for the duration of the event. If you need to find an MFA store, there is a store locator on the MFA Incorporated site.

Farm stores don’t guarantee no roosters
True, but hatcheries don't either. For any sexed chicks, there's 80% possibility that they are actually female, and 20% or so possibility that the sexing is incorrect and you have a male. [ETA the hatchery will tell you what the % are of the sexing being correct for the chickens you have your eye on, percentages may vary per hatchery and per breed]

If you absolutely must have female chicks, purchasing sex-linked chicks (most production hens such as ISA Browns, Red or Black Stars, Amberlink, etc.) or autosexing breeds (cream crested legbar, and others) are for-sure going to give you females.

I am new at raising chickens. I want to buy 6 day old chicks in early May and I don’t want any roosters. I’m located in Northwest Missouri. What hatchery do you recommend that I mail order from? Thanks!
Meyer + Cackle have been good so far for myself. If you are worried about them being sexed wrong get some auto sexed breeds IE welsummers / cream legbars / biefelders / buckeyes are a few that i've always gotten 100% accuracy on. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom