Where to buy diatomaceous earth??

songbird

Songster
14 Years
Feb 16, 2009
New England
Hi - I'm having trouble finding a place that sells DE. Those of you that use it, where do you get it? Anything else that works well for a dust bath? And what type of area do you provide for the dust bath?
Thanks!

I have two places I know of that sell it here in the Phoenix Area. (Both feed stores) Pratts' $40. Western Ranchman $27 for the exact same 50lb bags.

Here in NH we have a chain of feed/garden stores called Agway and I was able to get a 50lb. bag from them for $25.99. I haven't decided what I am going to use for a dust bath in the run, but I am thinking about an old tire so I don't have to worry about water building up in the bottom.

Have you got a fleet farm where you live? They should have it there. I get mine at the feed mill for $26 a 50 lb bag. If you buy online its gonna cost a small fortune for a small bag, I made that mistake before I found it at a feed mill. I paid $16 for a 2 lb bag plus shipping!

I got mine on Ebay because I couldn't find any food grade around here. I found crawling insect DE, but I wasn't sure if that was safe.

Anyways, I paid $25 including shipping for 10 lbs. I think it was $12 for DE, and $13 shipping
hmm.png

Quote:
Where do you live? Check feed stores, online is WAY to expensive for what little benefit you will receive.
As for what kind of area you provide for a dust bath... well my idea and my chickens idea of where this "area" changes almost on a daily basis, some times hour by hour. every once in a while I see a good wallowed out spot and throw some DE in it. then of course it is never dusted in again, I'm sure out of spite.
Good Question! I have also been looking for it. How would the best way to use it be??

dust under the shavings, roost, any dusting spots. even though that could be a moving target...
hmm.png

I would definitely look at local places for it. post a topic like "where to get DE in _____ fill in the city. I'm sure some one will help. I would not buy it online if that is your only option. 2 lbs... I threw around 2 lbs in about 10 seconds today... alternatives would be stall dry or stall boy, and lime. good luck!

Connie​

There's a wonderful seller here on BYC - "Spatcher". He's awesome! Great prices on DE. Not sure where you are, but I'm in VA and he often comes to swaps so you can buy there if you tell him in advance, he'll bring it there. He ships too.

Tell him I sent cha'
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom