Where to buy pigeons?

To LaughingDog,

I've looked on Craigslist; not much there at all. One listing for pigeons and his price is high and they are not even a special breed. So I'm hoping to hear back from you and then figure out how we can pass information. I did notice that you are in Tennessee, but I'm hoping you can get me in contact with someone in my state that is somewhat close to me. I don't mind driving an hour or two.

Most forums allow for private emailing not sure if this forum has that feature, perhaps you could advise.

Shaolin
Hi Shaolin,
I live in Rural Hall,N.C,about 1.45 minutes away from Raleigh. I raise Picas,horseman theif pouters and rare colored racing homers. I will have some young for sale here soon. Here is a little history on the picas and horsemans.
PICAS: Picas are a spanish breed from spain. They are comonly called "sporting picas"or " sporting pouters" being that they are a performance breed of pouter. The cocks are trained to chase a blue bar hen and mate with her and bring her back to his loft or box.

Horseman Theif Pouters: Horsemans are a breed from Scotland and are a theiving breed. They stand taller than the picas and have a bigger crop. These birds are flown aganist other flyers birds and the cock will bring back the other flyers bird if he is good enough.

In my opinion,these breeds are better at evading hawks and are way more fun than just plain ole white racers. It is realy fun when you see a horseman cock theiv someones else's bird or a feral and bring it back to your loft. It is also fun watching a pica cock or two cooing and chasing a hen and trying to win her over the other bird. I have only lost three birds to hawks in three years of raising them. Here is a link for the horsemans with more info on the breed,http://www.cichlidlovers.com/birds_horseman.htm and here is a link for the picas,http://www.cichlidlovers.com/birds_pica2.htm.
If you would like to do a loft visit and see the birds in action or purchase some birds,contact me thru a PM,e-mail,[email protected] or call me at
336-705-0638 ask for Logan. I would be willing to cut prices for you being that your a beginer.

Thanks

wow your pouters sound like they would bring something a bit better to the table (no pun intended in some cases.. lol), and ive not seen any pouters ect in the states that were good or used for more than show. spanish neighbors told me they used them to ransom and get dinner in old countries. Id always save extra eggs for them to take as pigeon eggs and squeaker/"squabs" are still delicacy to some old world latino families, supposedly the eggs and meat have great properties to them and eggs hardly any cholesteral and better for baking specialties. a few fliers in michigan called them detroit chicken. now im hungry.. lol

You Should check Color pigeons loft out! He's in NC too, this is where I'm getting my birds from!

CONTACT INFO:
Danny Joe Humphrey
1650 John Mewborne Rd.
Kinston, NC 28504
1-800-527-0918
Email

Visit my Website for a 30 minute Pigeon video and 300 pictures!
We charge actual postage fees plus the cost of the appropriate box size. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Paypal, and Money Orders.
All birds are vaccinated for PMV and wormed.
Call toll free for details.

Wow..... You all have such great advise!

When I started into racing, years ago, I talked to a man from a local racing club. I then found 3 other clubs in my area.
They were happy to raise babies for me at no cost. You might want to do a search on the net?
Most clubs are more then happy to help a newbie. They're awesome people!

I have heard that hawks tend to go after "white" birds more then the others. I can't say that for sure....... :-/

If I had to do it all over again, (AND ALOT YOUNGER), I would go for the White Homers. Not for racing...... They're terrible a that.
But they are good for short distance.

I would train my birds to travel from local churches and cemetery's. I always thought that an occasional Release at a wedding or funeral could put a little cash in my pocket. You just need the time and a pretty basket. And A Lot Of Love.

Hi, I would like to start with pigeons but I couldn't find any breeders on line. I live in Central North Carolina. I'm hoping someone on this forum can give me a reference.

I'm fine with having the birds shipped to me, that would be the most convenient. I would like to start with maybe 4. I like the "Flying Nun" pigeons, but a group of homers is fine to start.

Yes, I will build an pen for them before ordering. I have a farmlet with chickens, ducks, etc. so I have some experience with animal care in general. I would be getting them as pets and for the fun of watching them fly. I do have hawks that fly over my property from time to time that could be worrisome.

Thanks in advance for helping me out by giving me a referral or two. I'm a beginner so I don't want to spend much on birds to start.

Be well,
Shaolin

Hi Shaolin,
I came across your original post from 2013 while looking for pigeons for myself. I am wondering if you still have pigeons and do you live in the triangle area?
Thanks,
-Rez

@Rez Welcome to our BYC forums. Some of the posters on this thread are not active. 3 are. Poster #2 Hokum Coco gives good advice. He is also active member.
I suggest Craig's List.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Back
Top Bottom