Where to buy

Hipster Doofus

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Pawleys Island
Help....

I am close to getting my chicks, but need to decide where to get them. I want to choose which breeds to get, so the feed store is out (unless there is one that sells breed specific chicks). I only want pullets, so I do not want to incubate them myself, and I only want 4-6 chicks, so most online sites are out.

Any advice on where to go for chicks?

I got most of mine from a mill. They do carry different breeds and they are sexed. Good luck in your search. It will be well worth the time. Best wishes.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
:weee:ya

I don't know whether this would work or not, but you might try asking some of the mail order hatcheries. They may be able to ship fewer chicks at this time of year. I know Ideal has a minimum dollar amount, rather than a min. chick amount, and that dollar amount can be met with supplies and shipping. They will ship small amounts of chicks, without adding extra roos for warmth if you're willing to buy shipping insurance which is very reasonable. Just a thought.

mypetchicken.com has a 3 chick minimum order and that's where i got mine before realizing that MPC just orders from meyer hatchery and i could've just gone through the latter, cut out the middle man. the bonus of ordering through MPC, though, is that you can currently order online. meyer's site is down so you have to make all orders via phone.

expect long wait times from meyer, though. i ordered three weeks ago and my hatch date isn't until the end of july. of course, my order was fairly picky (3 chicks from 5 different breeds... i have artistic sensibilities and wanted a rainbow of chickens, what can i say?), so if you just wanted 6 of one breed you might be able to get an earlier hatch.

Thanks for the advice! I checked out MyPetChicken, but I live far from a major city, so I think my minimum is higher than 3. I have requested a catalog from Meyer, and their web site has the breeds I am looking for, so may just order from them.

Back
Top Bottom